UKC

Quality radio

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 29 Dec 2017
Iggy Pop doing another one of his quality obscure music shows on 6 music.
 deepsoup 29 Dec 2017
In reply to aln:
I love the Confidential Show.
Not listening right now though, I'll look forward to listening later - I download them to listen to while I'm driving. (No DAB in the van.)
OP aln 29 Dec 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

Japanese pop right now. A version of The Passenger
 Stichtplate 29 Dec 2017
In reply to aln:

Like Iggy pop's show, like Sean keavney's breakfast show but most of 6 goes over my head (self indulgent toss ?).
Lusk 29 Dec 2017
In reply to aln:

I'm a big Craig Charles fan
 deepsoup 30 Dec 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:
If you like the eclectic mix of stuff Mr Osterberg plays, I'm a bit surprised you don't like more of 6 Music's output tbh. And if you enjoy Keaveny's mix of relatively mainstream music and whimsical nonsense, I'm surprised Radcliffe & Maconie don't appeal.

Lovely Cerys has been the salvation of my Sunday mornings since I finally gave up on the Archers. (The scriptwriters' gratuitous murder of poor old Nigel Pargetter was the last straw.) Her taste in music is a delight and I haven't enjoyed the sound of any woman's voice more since Charlotte Green stopped doing the shipping forecast.
 Blue Straggler 30 Dec 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

> Like Iggy pop's show, like Sean keavney's breakfast show but most of 6 goes over my head (self indulgent toss ?).

That is indeed a strange comment. Usually a lot of people describe Keaveney as self indulgent toss so if you can stomach him, i can’t imagine that Lauren Laverne, Radcliffe/Maconie, Steve Lamacq, Tom Robinson, Tom Ravenscroft or Gideon Coe can seem self-indulgent

Mary-Anne Hobbs, though...yes gag her

I like Keaveney
 Stichtplate 30 Dec 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I was more referring to Keaveney's playlist which is far less esoteric than the normal 6 fare. As to the man himself, he's preferable to the majority of morning DJ's. Inexplicably , Mrs Stichtplate prefers Moyles on Radio X !

..... Just can't understand how she acquired a penchant for Know nothing gob-shites.
 Stichtplate 30 Dec 2017
In reply to deepsoup:
I too am a fan of Cerys's voice (though Charlotte was certainly more likely to get me up in the morning). Unfortunately her musical choices leave me cold. Iggy's playlist can be quite left field but ,for the most part, entirely palatable.
Post edited at 18:53
In reply to Stichtplate:

Thanks! I understand your post now - it's about the music. Keaveney is an acquired taste, I didn't "get" him at first but now I am a big fan. And....yes preferable to a lot of breakfast DJs although I actually don't mind Evans too much
 Stichtplate 30 Dec 2017

Evans ! FFS Blue, there is absolutely no accounting for your tastes. Impeccable in so many areas from cars to films but then you throw in a curve ball, be it Evans or Dawn Of Justice. I'm genuinely bewildered .
In reply to Stichtplate:

These things all start with "thin end of the wedge" e.g. for Evans, it's just that I don't have DAB in the car and if Radio 3 is sounding a bit dreary, I switch to Evans, and what first starts as begrudging tolerance becomes acceptance and then a feeling of "he's alright, really"

This has not yet happened with Gilles Petersen and Craig Charles on 6Music on Saturday (actually Charles is alright but I am just not a fan of the genre of music)
 ThunderCat 30 Dec 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

Cerys has a voice I could never get sick of listening to (but I always secretly wondered if I was a bit weird and that everyone else found it irritating)

I heard her singing "keep the home fires burning" as the credit music for a tv program ages ago. It was very nice. Just dug a version of it out on youtube...

youtube.com/watch?v=ZbCOWZmUdO8&

deepsoup 30 Dec 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:
> I too am a fan of Cerys's voice (though Charlotte was certainly more likely to get me up in the morning).

Nobody has ever made a noise more appealing than Charlotte trying not to giggle whilst reading out the clippings on the News Quiz.
 deepsoup 30 Dec 2017
In reply to ThunderCat:
> Cerys has a voice I could never get sick of listening to (but I always secretly wondered if I was a bit weird and that everyone else found it irritating)

Of course just because you're not the only one doesn't mean you're not a bit weird anyway.

> It was very nice. Just dug a version of it out on youtube...

Lovely. Beautifully as she sings though, it's her speaking voice that particularly appeals.

Um.. silly question possibly - have you heard of Julia Stone? If not, I think you'd like her. (Her brother Angus has a fine voice too.)
<Much rummaging around youtube ensues, trying to pick one clip...>
youtube.com/watch?v=26AV4sAZWpE&
 Stichtplate 30 Dec 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

> Nobody has ever made a noise more appealing than Charlotte trying not to giggle whilst reading out the clippings on the News Quiz.

I have never sought out a photo of Charlotte as no image could ever live up to the Goddess conjured up by her voice.
 ThunderCat 30 Dec 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

Ah, Charlotte Green. She of the infamous "corpsing whilst reading out an orbituary on R4" because of a funny comment about the previous item.

youtube.com/watch?v=kKBWsy5A2bA&

Hard not to listen to without giggling!
 ThunderCat 30 Dec 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

> <Much rummaging around youtube ensues, trying to pick one clip...>

How nice. Thanks for sharing that. I'll have to dig around and look at some of their stuff. Nice one!

i do enjoy these occasional little pointers towards musicians and singers I've never heard of. Last one was Nick Drake and "Riverman" / "Parasite" which I just couldn't get out of my head, and then spent months digging out other stuff he'd done.
 Siward 31 Dec 2017

Whereas I listen to Mary-Anne Hobbs because I love her voice. Nicer to listen to than Cerys in my book, and better music. Cerys's music does tend towards the self indulgent toss side of the spectrum.

Mark Riley's show lacks too much S.I.T. though.
OP aln 12 Jan 2018
In reply to aln:

Gideon Coe tonight, brilliant stuff

nathan79 12 Jan 2018
In reply to aln:

Alice Cooper has a show weeknights on Planet Rock. Classic rock interspersed with the man himself reminiscing, dishing out random trivia. Always worth a listen.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...