UKC

Awesome Walls Sheffield rope length

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James_D 30 Dec 2017
Evening! I need a new indoor rope, very occasionally I climb at Sheffield Awesome Walls - what length rope do people use there? 35m or will I need a 40m?

Cheers!
In reply to James_D:

Depends,
If you intend to do the full routes on the main overhang, you need a 50m
 dr_botnik 30 Dec 2017
In reply to James_D:

My 60 doesn't reach the halfway point on most the walls there so 35 should be fine
OP James_D 30 Dec 2017
In reply to James_D:

Thanks guys! Slightly conflicting advice, think I'll go for a 50 to be sure as I probably will be dogging my way up the main wall at some point in the future...
 Luke90 31 Dec 2017
In reply to James_D:

Yes, they definitely say that you need 50m for the main comp wall.
 stp 31 Dec 2017
In reply to James_D:

To get to the top of the highest bit, that is to the top of the big roof routes, you need a 40 metre rope, not a 50m. I suspect a 35m rope will be too short, though probably fine for the rest of the wall.
 stp 31 Dec 2017
In reply to Luke90:

I think I've heard it said that the longest routes are 23.5m. If these were vertical then you'd need a 47m rope. But they're very far from vertical and a lot of the climbing is outwards not upwards. When you lower back down the distance is considerably less because it's a straight line.

A 40m rope thus long enough. I use one there all the time so I know that it's long enough.
 Alex Pryor 31 Dec 2017
In reply to stp:
I was surprised but my mate got away with 30m for all the vertical routes and some routes to the right of the BIG overhang, but not the full length of the overhang. We can't get across that anyway.
 Luke90 01 Jan 2018
In reply to stp:

That's interesting. I've always used a 50m there but had wondered, based on the amount of rope left after descending from the roof, whether that was overkill. Never got around to measuring it properly though and didn't want to say so in case I was estimating wrong and got somebody hurt. Presumably they say 50m just to cover themselves with some leeway. (Or perhaps I just misremembered.)
 stp 01 Jan 2018
In reply to Luke90:

> Presumably they say 50m just to cover themselves with some leeway. (Or perhaps I just misremembered.)

Possibly, or they're just not sure, repeating what they've been told.

I bought an 80m rope and cut it in half: the best deal for my friend and me to get a 40m rope each. But I had to be sure it was long enough as I climb at AW a fair bit, so I checked it out first.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...