UKC

PODCAST: Factor Two - Episode 4: The Black Dog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 01 Jan 2018
The Black Dog, 3 kbKaty Forrester is a former member of the British bouldering and ice climbing teams. She's a fell runner and an accomplished trad and sport climber, with routes up to 7c+ and E8 under her belt. She also has a black dog. Katy is open in talking about her experience of depression and how she tackled her metaphorical black dog with a real one - a 5 month old labrador called Jade.

In this podcast series, Wil Treasure shares stories from the climbing world through interviews with both well-known and lesser-known characters. In-depth, personal accounts that aren't read from a page on a variety of themes. Settle down with a cuppa and have a listen...

Read more
 TobyA 01 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC Articles:

Very interesting, although perhaps missing a bit of the narrative drive that earlier episodes have had? Maybe that's just me though, and I did really enjoy it.
I'm pretty amazed that Katy managed to do anything else in her first year of teaching. My first year as a teacher was only 2 years ago and it was one of the toughest and, at times, most miserable years of my life, and I've got 40+ other ones to compare it to. With the work load that seems the norm in NQT years, to then go and compete in a world cup competition (while ill) is amazingly impressive regardless of how well she did!
 Robert Durran 01 Jan 2018

Really good. An inspiring start to the new year listening to it.
 Phil79 02 Jan 2018

Is there a way to download the podcast (including the others in this series)? I can only seem to get it to play via the browser?
 papashango 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Phil79:

Search for it in your podcast player of choice. I use podcast addict on android and it is available.
 winhill 04 Jan 2018

Didn't listen to the podcast, tl;dl but the blog was interesting.

Coincidentally this is the second article in barely two weeks about a high performing female climber who achieves redemption through marriage and male relationships.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=675960

Begs the question as to whether women who are more competitive at sport are also more competitive in other ways and what we're spectating upon are examples of female sexual competitiveness and it's link to poor mental health in females.
 TobyA 04 Jan 2018
In reply to winhill:

Marriage is almost an after thought to the article, redemption comes from getting a dog. It looks like you want to make some other point though.
 planetmarshall 04 Jan 2018
In reply to winhill:

> Didn't listen to the podcast, tl;dl but the blog was interesting.

> Coincidentally this is the second article in barely two weeks about a high performing female climber who achieves redemption through marriage and male relationships.

You admitted to not listening to the podcast, but it looks like you entirely missed the point of the blog post as well.
 Michael Gordon 04 Jan 2018
In reply to winhill:

I must have missed the bit about 'marriage and male relationships', though presumably it was in there somewhere? Seemed to be mainly about headpointing, mind games and mental health. Really interesting I thought.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...