UKC

Mountain Guide for Mont Blanc 2018

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Robbo89 01 Jan 2018

My wife and I are heading to chamonix this summer for 12 nights.
We would like to climb (via either the Gouter or trois Monts routes) Mont Blanc.

We are both keen walkers, runners and do trad and indoor climbing in the uk. We have some Scottish winter experience and have been to chamonix once previously and done some basic skills, crevasse rescue etc (taught), as well as a few very easy routes.
Due to our inexperience we plan to do a few shorter less commiting outings ourselves (Laurence, cosmiques Arete etc) to acclimatise but would like to hire a guide for Mont Blanc itself.

I imagine we will need to hire a guide for two days?

Does anyone have any contacts or recommendations for a suitable guide at a sensible price?

Many thanks

Joe
( I am new to this forum, so apologies if this question has been asked before!)
Post edited at 20:40
 SebCa 01 Jan 2018
In reply to Robbo89:
The people at the top of their game can be found here: http://www.bmg.org.uk/find-a-guide/
Quite a few are based in Cham and would be able to assist you!

I did the Gouter Route in 2008 and we considered a guide and huts, we ended up camping and following the steady train of people in stead which kind of added to the experience but if you feel more comfortable with the guide then go for it!

Good luck and enjoy! Hope the view is better for you than it was for me!
Post edited at 20:35
 tehmarks 01 Jan 2018
In reply to Robbo89:

If you're happy and moving well on the Cosmiques, I'd think you'd be happy on either the Bosses Ridge or Trois Monts routes without a guide. Neither route is technically challenging, though they both have their objective dangers and it's a long day whichever way you go. Take a trip to the OHM beforehand to enquire about conditions and check the forecast, and if the forecast is good go for it.
 Cheryl 02 Jan 2018
In reply to Robbo89:

I used High Mountain Guides last year for a 3 day adventure in Chamonix. They came highly recommended from a guiding friend and found them to be brilliant from the very first enquiry email right through to the last detail. The actual guide I had was Kenny Grant who was excellent.

I didn’t do Mont Blanc but some of the guys I was with went onto Mont Blanc at the end of the week with Kenny and HMG.

Well worth checking out their website. IMO.
 PeterBlackler 02 Jan 2018
In reply to Robbo89:

Hi Joe,

I'd suggest having a chat with Ben Bradford (IFMGA) who runs Vertical Frontiers in Chamonix; he's a very friendly & helpful chap

Lots of info on the VF website too e.g. http://verticalfrontiers.com/mountaineering/mont-blanc/

Kind regards,

Peter

Robbo89 02 Jan 2018
In reply to Robbo89:
Thank you to everyone who has replied . We’re going to look into all of these options.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...