UKC

Cheap canon lens

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jethro kiernan 06 Jan 2018
My daughter has been given a Canon 400D by her grandad the camera is fine but the lens had some fungus, unfortunately despite the best you tube advice we can't get too all the elements to clean it.
does anyone have a suitable lens for the canon they may part with ( cheap and cheerful)
Failing that is anyone interested in a canon 400D body with extras (I'm a nikon user so it would make sense to go for a nikon body and lens)
 alx 06 Jan 2018
In reply to jethro kiernan:
Hi Jethro,

Trawl the used lens sales in Harrisons Camera's or ebay. If its cheap then look for non-canon branded stuff.

If "cheap" is around £100, then I can absolutely recommend the Canon 50mm STM f1.8, we used it for our 400D and it takes beautiful pictures for the price (£80-90 first hand). Really excellent small lens.

http://amzn.eu/7UMqAXw

Alternatively you could see how cheap a nikon to canon mount converter costs?
Post edited at 21:37
 Tom Last 06 Jan 2018
In reply to alx:

Agree that those 50mm 1.8 lenses are good for the price. Is the mould actually showing up much on the image?

yes unfortunately the fungus is between 2 small lenses that can't be seperated and does produce an almost unusable image
 mrphilipoldham 07 Jan 2018
MPBPhotographic, great company and they've got a Sigma cheap'un in for £14 at the mo!

Edit - scrap that, it's for spares/repairs. They've got the standard Canon wide angle in for £50 though.
Post edited at 20:36
 balmybaldwin 07 Jan 2018

I've got a couple of basic kit lenses from my old 350d she is welcome to
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I might be interested, in trying to keep it cheap as I will move her across to Nikon if she gets keen
Send me an email and cheers for replying
 Blue Straggler 08 Jan 2018
You should be able to source a used 18-55 for about £40, or are you looking cheaper still??
(I see the 400D is a 2006 camera, so I'm not sure about compatibility of a likely newer 18-55)

edit - sorry, looks like you are probably already sorted!
Post edited at 10:20
 d_b 08 Jan 2018

If you do make the decision to get rid of the body and go Nikon, I am seriously considering getting out of SLRs at the moment and could probably be persuaded to part with a body for cheap.
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Ill Keep you posted, Thanks
In reply to davidbeynon:

Let me know, this could turn into an expensive gift from her grandfather
 d_b 08 Jan 2018

I think the decision made itself when I broke my compact and realised that:

1. The most recent picture on my SLR memory card was from 2015
and
2. I could no longer remember how to operate it - muscle memory had gone.

A camera I only point at things every two years isn't really worth keeping around.
In reply to davidbeynon:

Send me some details, I may have to wait for my next invoice but I may be interested

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...