UKC

Sitting on Boulder Pads

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TomAlford 09 Jan 2018
Bit of a weird one...

I recently built a sort of frame out of pallets that houses my bouldering pad when it's not being used and makes a sort of reclining sofa for my room at uni. The pad is open and the backboard is pitched back at about 70 degrees to make a nice comfy backrest that doesn't force you to sit upright.

However, I was once warned not to sleep on my pad as it can damage the foam, and I was wondering if sitting on it often would cause similar damage? I've been using it for a while like this and have yet to hurt myself falling onto the pad, and I really struggle to believe that something designed to catch 175lbs of dumbass will be damaged from being sat on. What do you guys reckon?
 snoop6060 09 Jan 2018
In reply to TomAlford:
I wouldn't sit on mine as it's covered in sheep shit. Would not even have it in my bedroom, it stinks. Doubt you'll ruin the foam mind.
Post edited at 17:02
In reply to snoop6060:

I think falling off a boulder on to it might cause it more damage
 Jon Stewart 09 Jan 2018
In reply to TomAlford:

> However, I was once warned not to sleep on my pad as it can damage the foam

Never listen to that person again.
 FreshSlate 09 Jan 2018
In reply to TomAlford:
As others have said the force of you falling off a highball problem and landing on the small surface area of one or two feet will apply many many times more force per square inch than simply sitting or lying down on one.
Post edited at 17:17
In reply to TomAlford:

I reckon you should stop being a tightar$e and buy a sofa.
 Greasy Prusiks 09 Jan 2018
In reply to TomAlford:

I doubt it. If it's a taco it's worth storing it open with the fold flat though.
 alx 09 Jan 2018
In reply to TomAlford:
It’s fine to sit on the pad but not to break wind on it. This can discolour the case.
Post edited at 18:21
OP TomAlford 09 Jan 2018
In reply to climberclimber321:

Exactly what I reckoned but thought I might check!

I remember in response to my protestations he said something along the lines of 'if it's your safety in question, there's no reason to not be cautious'... Might start taking a double rack to Stanage then.
 justdoit 09 Jan 2018
In reply to TomAlford:

It all good to do that I sleep on mine all of the time in the bar of the car. Never made any difference to it.
In reply to TomAlford:

Every time you fall or sit on a boulder mat it slightly damages the foam, it will gradually become soft over time. The speed of deterioration will be dependant on use, quality and type of foam etc.

Falls in general are of a high force, but a short duration.

Sitting or sleeping is a low force, but of a long duration.

There are also usually 2 types of foam in a boulder mat. These have an elastic and viscous effect, as such they react and degrade according to different types of force.

I sit and sleep on mine and their lifespan, is still measured in years, it could have been longer without misuse, after all they are not cheap, but then I do not care enough.

Some climbing centres use them as seats for customers. You could ask them how long they last, but they do seem to use the very firm closed cell foam in these cases.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...