UKC

Clipped by a van - options?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rampikino 11 Jan 2018

I was clipped by a van this morning on my run.

Narrow lane close to home, he saw me coming but still squeezed me off to the side, clipped my left elbow with his mirror and didn't stop.  It was dark and I couldn't get his number.

Now to allay any "you have to make sure you are seen in the dark" queries...

I was wearing my fluorescent yellow Ron Hill top with reflective strips and a front light.  I also had my knee-high fluorescent yellow socks.  He definitely saw me because he dipped his headlights and slowed a little but he still didn't give me space (next stop for me was a hedge).

No way he didn't know - it made quite a bang.

So what so I do?

It was local enough that I could trawl the area and narrow it own - very few houses where it happened and limited candidates.  However, I have no proof other than a big black mark up my Ron Hills, a sore elbow and shoulder and my word.

I'm minded to report it anyway to get it on record but not sure what other avenues there are.

balmybaldwin 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

Report it to the police. They will take it quite seriously as you weren't on a bike. Obvs if you can get the number it will help. It probably uses the lane a lot around the same time

summo 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

I had a near miss / skim once by some half blind old boy. His wing mirror hit me as I was carrying the then little one, the bloke was oblivious.

I told the police but said I didn't want to press charges, but I did want them to speak to him, so at least he would hopefully consider an eye test or driving less etc.. 

OP Rampikino 11 Jan 2018
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I think I will report it via 101 and then do a bit of detective work to find the guy.

Denzil 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Rampikino: I was clipped by a woman driving a sports car on one of the local lanes while I was running. Daylight so no way she couldn’t see me but didn’t slow down. Lane is a dead end leading to a group of 3 houses. The wing mirror came off completely, bouncing down the road with wires dangling from it. I didn’t bother to report it - reckoned the cost of the repair would make sure she didn’t do it again. Elbow was a little bruised.

BusyLizzie 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

I have nothing useful to say but am jumping up and down with indignation on your behalf. Really dreadful behaviour on the part of the driver!!

JayPee630 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

Given that a few months a ago some local racing lads mounted the pavement near my house (after pulling up masks) and tried to run me over at 50mph which I only just dodged and the police couldn't have been less interested I don't expect they'll be much help.

(It was after a I came out of the house and shouted at them as they screeched past on the tenth handbrake round of a circuit they do near our house of anyone is interested.)

OP Rampikino 11 Jan 2018
In reply to JayPee630:

Well it's logged and I've been asked to give a statement.

The difficulty is finding the driver, but my location is rural and sparsely populated. I stand a chance with a bit of detective work...

Roadrunner5 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

Report it for sure,

Sadly some drivers think a clip with the wing mirror will just scare you, the head a Uni I worked at in Texas was killed that way. 

I'd report it and watch out for him. Chances are you will see him again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...