UKC

Hiking with a broken rib?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
womblingfree 11 Jan 2018

NYE my mrs fractured / broke a couple of ribs. She's clicking a lot, and has struggled to sleep since...

Anyway, today she's feeling a little better and wants to go hiking Saturday. Weather forecast is wintery showers. I'm convinced this is a bad idea, given the pain she's been in...

Am I being overly cautious? Any first hand accounts out there, when did you start getting active again?

Thanks

annieman 11 Jan 2018
In reply to womblingfree:

I tw*ted my ribs coming off a Motocrosser many years ago. Took a week off and went back to work (self Employed), for a day. Then went off sick for a month.

Ribs take a long time to heal. Hurts every time that you breath. I'd only suggest something simple like a canal or railway track. No specific objective so that you can turn back at any time.

Save the hiking untilthe better weather comes and the ribs have had a chance to heal.

Good luck

womblingfree 11 Jan 2018
In reply to annieman:

this is my feeling, nice flat walk with plenty of cafes on route, and ideally public transport or taxi to bail out with!

I've broken mine before falling down a flight of stairs but it was a hedonistic bit of life and I can't remember much about it!

Post edited at 15:54
 Mark Kemball 11 Jan 2018

I remember a lecture by Paul Nunn - he'd taken a fall, broken a rib or two, so the doctor signed him off work for a week. Excellent - off to Scotland for some ice climbing...

Billhook 11 Jan 2018

Isn't this really up to your wife - or do you make decisions for her?

Dark-Cloud 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave Perry:

My thoughts too, she will know if she’s up to it or not !

PPP 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave Perry:

You aren't new to the UKC, don't be a fool

I have cracked my ribs and worked in the restaurant at the time (as a student). Told my supervisor at the time, he said "you'll be fine". Yeah, it's doable with codeine, but not fun! Long story short, I regained my supervisor position (I was out for few months and got rehired) and that guy got demoted as people didn't last long under his supervision. I wonder why... 

The Lemming 11 Jan 2018

> NYE my mrs fractured / broke a couple of ribs. She's clicking a lot, and has struggled to sleep since... > Anyway, today she's feeling a little better and wants to go hiking Saturday. Weather forecast is wintery showers. I'm convinced this is a bad idea, given the pain she's been in... > Am I being overly cautious? Any first hand accounts out there, when did you start getting active again? > Thanks

Personally I'd rest till the ribs heal.  But then I'm a wuss.

However there is a possibility that while doing lots of aerobic exercise bits of a broken rib could puncture a lung.  Now that really would bugger her day on the hill.

Just a cheery thought.

Edit

Get your other half to google pneumothorax.  That should make for an interesting read.

Post edited at 20:34
womblingfree 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave Perry:

when I'm driving, navigating, carrying most of the cold weather kit and the responsibility to keep us safe, yes

wintertree 11 Jan 2018

I did a rib in - very embarrassing - I was getting out of a saloon car parked on a muddy slope, I forgot I had my smart shoes on, slid and planted the top of the door in a rib.  That only cracked it I think but a failure to avoid certain strenuous activity then led to a horrid unforgettable sound and a lot more pain, presumed then broken, especially given the graunching sensations.

Walking was a blessed relief compared to the pain of trying to sleep - which I ended up doing sat bolt upright in bed.  I was happy to stick to familiar and easy ground reachable without a car, as I didn’t want to risk belting up over it and didn’t want to risk a slip/trip/fall.  I’m not prone to them but it’s one of those probability * consequences calculations.

Post edited at 21:46

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...