UKC

Disappointed in Arcteryx Atom LT sturdiness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I bought an Atom LT jacket to replace an old NF Zermatt fleece before Xmas. Initially very pleased with it. Lighter than a thick fleece, warm and versatile. This morning I noticed a mark on the arm, so I grabbed a baby wipe and just rubbed the mark clean. As I was doing this the material just disintegrated and the insulation started coming out! I am aware that these items are designed to be light and, as such, not tough...but this really surprised me and i'm pretty disappointed at it's fragility. 

Looks like fleece does have it's advantages over these very light technical jackets. Gggrrrr, bad start to the day.

momohikes 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I agree, the sturdiness of the Atom is not great. I recently wore mine on a multi day hiking trip and sometimes (depending on weather) used it as my outer layer- realized after I got back that the Atom had abrasion marks on one side where the backpack strap was. Still like this jacket a lot but just showed me that I need to wear something sturdier over it, like the Gamma LT.

In reply to momohikes:

I definitely won't be replacing it like for like. Have to go and look at some alternatives....any suggestions anyone?

ClimberEd 12 Jan 2018

Maybe they have changed the construction, why don't you ask them?

I've had mine for several years (5+) and it's bombproof.

guy127917 12 Jan 2018

I love my Atom LT- it is such a versatile piece of clothing. The face fabric is quite thin, I have a rip from a thorn or somesuch when hiking through backcountry. But you can't have lightweight AND super tough, because physics. A bit of tape and you are good to go- it's not like the insulation is feathers which all come out and go everywhere.

In reply to guy127917:

Agree that lightweight means less tough, but £150 for something that cannot take a baby wipe is not my idea of acceptable performance. I will drop them an email and see what they say.

GarethSL 12 Jan 2018

The first versions were excellent. The newer ones are absolute rubbish. The originals had a 'Luminara' outer shell but they swapped it to the 'Tyono' in 2014. Both are a 20D fabric but the original was much more stretchy with a better feel. Was slicker and felt a lot more durable.

The Tyono is just too thin and flimsy feeling for my taste. Its also basically see-through and more noisy. All that added to the loss of the dual hem adjustment, shorter sleeves with silly lightweight cuffs and they destroyed what was a legendary jacket. Not to mention a trend setter for non-fleece mid-layers.

The Atom AR has the 30 dernier version of the Tyono shell which is a little more durable and closer to the original. Also has the original features and fit, but of course lacks the hybrid underarm and is heavier loft.

For what its worth I replaced my tired LT with the Proton LT and have been very impressed (mainly because the sleeve length was still there). Very breathable but can't really be used as an outer layer as it has no windproof properties.

Send it back.

Post edited at 09:54
Removed User 12 Jan 2018

I have had my Atom LT for about 18 months and it gets a lot of use casually as well as on the trail and for skiing in various configurations with backpack. I have been impressed by its resilience and until a week ago it had weathered everything without any telling impact, I snagged it on a nail while out on a skiing trip but it only pulled a length of thread from the arm. I was actually shocked to see something had damaged it.

I do hope they haven't changed this for the worse as it has been such a solid go to piece over the past year or so and given the number of wears it has had its been pretty good value.

In reply to GarethSL:

"Send it back."

Retailer very helpful (trekitt), provides free anytime returns. Will look at it and (hopefully) exchange or allow me to replace with a different model. 

momohikes 12 Jan 2018

You could try the Gamma MX, much tougher outer shell with insulation but definitely a more technical look to it.

JohnO1978 12 Jan 2018

Alpkit Katabatic Jacket, I got mine for 115 however they are back up to 140 now. 

I have both the Atom and the Katabatic and the Katabatic is up there and feels more robust. 

guy127917 12 Jan 2018
In reply to JohnO1978:

The other one I'm interested in as an equivalent is the Rab Alpha Flux- I think this is a similar concept?

JohnO1978 12 Jan 2018
In reply to guy127917:

I think this one maybe?

https://www.alpkit.com/products/morphosis-jacket-mens

The Katabatic is very good so far. I am also tempted to get a morphosis jacket too. Alpkit stuff is pretty awesome for the price.

jamie_bkc 12 Jan 2018

Urm... Baby wipes shouldn't break down plastic. Do you know what the mark was? Sounds more like it was something corrosive itself.

In reply to jamie_bkc:

No idea what the mark was, in fact it's still there as I stopped once I realised what was happening and hadn't removed all of it.

The retailer can take a look at it and decide if I have a case or not. If they send me the jacket back, c'est la vie

jamie_bkc 12 Jan 2018

The other thing is that I've heard when you make a ream of fabric it isn't always 100% perfect all the way across, occasionally you get dodgy patches and smaller ones can slip through QC. Could be that your mark was a defect. Either way I'm sure your warranty will be honoured.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...