UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Climbers' Club Guides to West Cornwall Volume 2 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 15 Jan 2018
West Cornwall - Chair Ladder and the South Coast, 3 kbExtensively researched by local activists with many years of rock-climbing experience on the coast of West Cornwall, this thoroughly revised Climbers' Club definitive guidebook includes over 2,000 routes at all grades, enhanced photodiagram coverage, hundreds of brilliant new climbs on The Lizard, and exciting new crags such as Down Under Zawn.

Read more
 AlanLittle 15 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

broken link

In reply to AlanLittle:

Strange, not sure what's going on there.

Whilst our developers look into it, here's a quick-link: https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news/guidebooks/climbers'_club_guides_...

For what it's worth, I got my review copy through over the weekend. Initial impressions are positive, with the guide being very much of the same (high) calibre of Volume 1, which I reviewed back in 2016: https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/reviews/guidebooks/climbers'_club_guid.... Whilst it'll take me a while to dig into the details, the format is very similar, with great mapping, clear, bright, and colourful topos, and a good selection of action shots. The double page spread area headers are particularly stunning and a very nice touch. The guide also brings to light a number of routes/areas that may have been a little off the radar previously (or at least they certainly were to me!) both on the granite and on the Lizard. The history for both areas look thorough and - for those who are fans of FA information - you'll be glad to hear that this too has been included.

My only gripe is the cover. Whilst they say 'don't just a book by its cover' it is pretty much impossible not to. The cover shot itself is quite weak (there are far better within the guide) and the change from a matt to gloss format makes it lose the classy edge that Volume 1 had. That said, it's not the cover that's going to get you to the base of a route, or to a new area you haven't been before, so whilst it's definitely a bit of a let down it's not - lest we forget - the end of the world.

I'll post a more thorough review as/when I've had time to gather my thoughts more fully.

Post edited at 10:23
 GridNorth 15 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

Received a copy this very morning.  It's had the desired affect.  I want to go climbing in Cornwall.  I now realise that I haven't done very much in this area apart from a couple of trips to Chair Ladder, St Loy and Trewavas.  Good descriptions, good photos, what more could you ask for.

Al

Sean Kelly 15 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

Another great production job by all the volunteers that work for the CC guidebook team and worthy companion to Vol 1. Well done, now for some summer type weather!

Greasy Prusiks 15 Jan 2018
 Tom Last 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Yeah, it's Hairy Cornflake at Carn Guthenbras.

Cheers! 

Greasy Prusiks 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Tom Last:

Cheers Tom, looks like a bit of a hidden gem! 

In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

I completely agree with you about the cover - it's terrible for several reasons:-

You can't tell where it is (is it Cornwall, Pembroke or somewhere else?), the climber's face is obscured by his arm, and overall it's very average as a climbing shot - certainly nowhere near good enough for a front cover. Obscuring half the picture with a list of crags that should be on the back cover is another mistake.

That being said, it won't stop me buying it, but it's a real let down in an otherwise great looking guide.

oscaig 17 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

Looks great regardless of the cover shot. Can't wait to check out the new Lizard coverage - one of my favourite areas. Now just waiting for the much anticipated new North Devon & Cornwall guide! 

Mark Collins 05 Feb 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

Is there any Scilly in it can someone let me know please?

james mann 05 Feb 2018
In reply to Mark Collins:

Quite a lot of silly but no Scilly isles. 

James

It’s a great guide actually. 

Mark Collins 05 Feb 2018
In reply to james mann:

Thanks James.

Anyone know if there are plans for a Scilly Bouldering Guide or some other alternative please? Clearly there's been a decision to drop it from West Cornwall, which I can understand.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...