UKC

Would you buy an old rope?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan Breck 15 Jan 2018

For various reasons I haven't climbed for some time and won't in the future. At the time that I was climbing I purchased quite a bit of stuff that's never been used. Unused gear includes a Mammut Serenity 8.9 rope. It's never been used and stored in a box in the dark at an even temperature.  My records show that it was bought in March 2010.

So I suppose that the questions are:

1) Would you trust it? I would but I aint climbing on it and

2) Do you think that anyone would buy it.

I've already chucked a used 11m in the skip so is this going the same way?

Post edited at 22:17
 artif 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Alan Breck:

Never throw old ropes out. may not be any use for climbing but they are always useful to people with boats, i.e me, or for making scramble nets or door mats etc etc  like this guy http://www.xray-mag.com/content/frayed-knot-helps-keep-orkneys-beaches-clea...

ClimberEd 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Alan Breck:

short answer. buy, yes. Use for leading no.

Phil Scott 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Alan Breck:

Was just reading this, linked from another thread. Quite interesting - worth a read.

https://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_GB/experience-story?cid=qc-lab-old-...

Pete Houghton 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Phil Scott:

> Quite interesting - worth a read.

Absolutely is, along with this quoted section from Tendon ropes tests:
"In the process of rope production, the fibres are mechanically doubled, twisted and braided in several stages. In this way the fibres finally attain a condition of mechanically induced stress. A long-term storage leads to retardation and relaxation. This means that stress in macromolecules is “relieving”. This phenomenon is not harmful, on the contrary it is connected with an improvement of dynamic properties. Research works showed that the results of tests of dynamic performance of ropes that had been (optimally) stored for several years were often better than values measured immediately after production. Polyamide also does not contain additives and softeners like, for example, PVC that could diffuse out. This is the reason why no embrittlement occurs."

I'm going to buy a bunch of ropes now and leave them in the shed for a few years!

jezb1 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Alan Breck:

As the link above shows, stored properly, old ropes could well be stronger...

OP Alan Breck 16 Jan 2018

Thanks for the replies and the links. Interesting stuff.

More_Than_a_Plod 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Alan Breck:

Beal ropes can be stored for 5 years before the 10 year recommended lifespan begins. So technically 15yrs worth of ownership.

Wayne S 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Pete Houghton:

I guess the problem is interpreting several years, clearly two or more.  But at what point is several too many?  

I have no doubt that an older undamaged rope is strong enough, though my experience is that they do tend to feel less dynamic after 5-6 odd years of low use.  Nothing scientific to base that on other than my own experience. 

Ben_Climber 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Alan Breck:

https://www.hangingbyafred.co.uk/

Would much appreciate it.

Siward 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Wayne S:

Got a luvverly 11mm rope in the attic, stored in a box, barely used and sitting there since 1992. Looks immaculate. I've never seen evidence on ukc ( this is discussed relatively frequently) that it would fare any worse than a new rope out in the hills. 

Wayne S 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Siward:

Yet it’s sat in the attic unused, I expect Schrödinger's cat is using it as a bed!

blackratdog 17 Jan 2018
In reply to Alan Breck:

If you sold this, you'd be quite literally getting money for old rope. 

knighty 17 Jan 2018
In reply to blackratdog:

> If you sold this, you'd be quite literally getting money for old rope. 

This. I'd pay a fiver for it.

jethro kiernan 17 Jan 2018
In reply to Alan Breck:

i'll pay seven pounds for it

In reply to Alan Breck:

My biggest concern with old ropes is how certain you can be that nothing bad has happened over the time (battery acid stored in the same location? You moved house?)

If you are certain then it should be fine.

Brass Nipples 17 Jan 2018
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

The old they stored their climbing rope next to battery acid.  Yep that happens all the time.

In reply to Alan Breck:

Money for old rope...?

Billhook 17 Jan 2018
In reply to Alan Breck:

Sell it!  I hear you can make money for of old rope.

In reply to Lion Bakes:

I gave that as a worst case scenario as I couldn't be bothered to list the many possible ways a rope in long term storage could be subjected to less than perfect conditions. Actually the battery acid scenario, or corrosive cleaning product exposure is more likely than it might seem, scenario is more of a danger than it might appear.

Lets say its a family household.  Can it be guaranteed the rope has never been moved for cleaning, stored temporarily somewhere during decorations. Say it is in a box. The box might make a convenient 'table' for someone to pour cleaning products on. Given time and variables anything can happen and it usually does.

OP Alan Breck 18 Jan 2018

"Lets say its a family household.  Can it be guaranteed the rope has never been moved for cleaning, stored temporarily somewhere during decorations. Say it is in a box. The box might make a convenient 'table' for someone to pour cleaning products on. Given time and variables anything can happen and it usually does"

.........or more than likely not in fact definitely not!  Couldn't be bothered taking the battery out of the car and storing it nice and safely in the bedroom cupboard. The cleaning products I have been informed are under the kitchen sink but are available to me if required.

elsewhere 18 Jan 2018
In reply to Alan Breck:

The funny thing is most people might not buy it but they'd be OK to climb on it if they met you as a new climbing partner.

Brass Nipples 18 Jan 2018

you our cannot guarantee anything about a rope you get second hand. Age has nothing to do with it. The previous owner does.

In reply to Alan Breck:

Good. That's why I said if you were certain then it was fine.

In reply to Lion Bakes:

Yep we agree on that one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...