UKC

Montane prism?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave B 15 Jan 2018

Anyone got one? 

How do they rate it? Any better jackets of similar ilk at a similar price?

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/montane-prism-2-0-mens-insulated-jacket-p102225

Ta.

andymac 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave B:

On my second.

great jacket for the money Imo.

good ,generous sized hood also

Wainers44 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave B:

Really comfortable and warm jackets! Like the cut and design of the hood especially.

DaveHK 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave B:

Great as general purpose insulation but not warm enough for use as a belay jacket imo although some do.

rock3gozy 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave B:

Ace jacket, my most used piece of kit and also on my second!

Pkrynicki1984 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave B:

A fine jacket , mine is 6+ years old . Cost me 50 quid brand new , has holes from campfires has been soaked more times than I care to remember , gets used for everything from mid layer to sleeping in on wild camps .... will be gutted when it dies finally! 

OP Dave B 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave B:

Thanks all.  Sounds like a plan 

olddirtydoggy 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave B:

Great jacket just just check the zipper has an upward zip from the bottom as well because a friend of mine bought one without and it's a nightmare with a harness on. Real odd as mine has a zip both ways.

AlanLittle 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave B:

I had one years ago. It was my first jacket in the lightweight insulated fleece replacement genre and it was fine.

Replaced it with an Arcteryx Atom LT that I picked up half price in a sale. Superior cut & materials but I still wouldn't pay full price for it.

HB1 16 Jan 2018

I've had mine a couple of years now. I wear it all the time! Not the warmest, but that's not the main thing. It's a good walking jacket - not too hot and sweaty. I don't wear it as a belay jacket - well, I do, but only on single pitch routes, spring and summer. The hood's GREAT! The women's version is not at all well cut I understand - too tight under the arms. Btw I didn't know about a two-way zip - it would be useful

steveriley 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave B:

As above, warm enough whilst you're active less so when you're sat around. I got a bit chilled winter climbing in persistent mist recently. Wasn't smart enough to put a shell on and eventually started to wet out. Otherwise good stuff.

Tall Clare 16 Jan 2018
In reply to HB1:

oo - I was just about to post to mention a weird detail about the armscye being a bit small, but I'd kind of decided that was to do with me and not the cut of the jacket (it's an adjustment I often have to make when dressmaking). Interesting to hear that others have had the same problem, and surprising in a jacket designed to be worn by people whose sporting activities will lead to more muscular shoulders.

wilkesley 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave B:

Often on sale, so search for a lower price and get Go to match it, plus their extra 10% discount. Bear in mind it has to be the same colourway and size to be eligible for a price match.

OP Dave B 16 Jan 2018
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

The photos of modern one all show a one way zip only.  Is this the new design? 

The Lemming 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave B:

I loved my Prism jacket until I boil washed it by mistake.

So I replaced it with the next model up, the Flux.

It's much warmer yet still light enough to be confused as a Prism.

womblingfree 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave B:

Love mine, 3 years old and still going strong. pretty warm for the cost and weight, packs small too, and cosy hood. not a bad pillow when packed either

olddirtydoggy 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave B:

Probably as mines an old one with the double zip. If Montane are doing a single zip then thats worse. Only an issue if you are using it to climb in.

OP Dave B 17 Jan 2018
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Might mean the fluxes works better,  but it's warmer   

OP Dave B 24 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave B:

In the end I tried both the prism and the flux and bought the flux. 

I have a montane equaliser that works as a lighter more active jacket for spring/ summer/autumn, so the flux works better to fill that gap in winter...

OP Dave B 24 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave B:

Plus they are down to £100 now. 

In reply to Dave B:

A good layer for insulation when static, but not in most people’s eyes a true belay jacket and I wouldn’t want to be active in it.

Overall I would say good when it landed but now superceded by light warm true belay jackets or the new wave of active insulation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...