UKC

Portland when it's REALLY windy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andy healey 16 Jan 2018

Planning to head to Portland tomorrow, ideally for some sunny bouldering round Portland Bill.

But the forecast is for extreme winds.

Will I find a sheltered spot there, and if not are any other Portland areas guaranteed shelter?

Thanks

David Staples 16 Jan 2018
In reply to andy healey:

Looking at the met office for tomorrow you may get blown off your feet at the bill!

I would take a punt on the Cuttings boulder field as this might be a bit more sheltered from the strong westerly.

Cheers,

beefy_legacy 16 Jan 2018
In reply to andy healey:

There are some nice problems in the quarries at Longstone Ope which would probably be out of the wind. I'm thinking of the Saw Mill and the Tar Pit areas. Some nice slabby / vertical stuff. If the wind is from the west the New Cuttings would probably be ok too.

Longstone Ope

johnl 16 Jan 2018
In reply to andy healey:

It will be the stormy seas that will stop you bouldering down The Bill. Plenty of other sheltered areas though away from the sea on the east side. Most of the Cheyne Weares/Neddyfields areas should be fine (Cheyne House Quarry is a winter sun trap), Southwell landslips (Hidden Quarry is excellent), the Playground area of the New Cuttings (probably my first choice) and sheltered pockets of the Boulderfield. Have fun.

OP andy healey 16 Jan 2018
In reply to andy healey:

Thanks all!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...