UKC

Day tour this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew Holden 18 Jan 2018

Hello

I’m looking for ideas for day tours this weekend. Not really done much touring in this country so any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

James Jackson 18 Jan 2018
In reply to Andrew Holden:

Where abouts are you?

If you're on Facebook, join the group 'British Backcountry' - loads of current info on conditions and places to go! It's a very friendly and helpful group.

OP Andrew Holden 18 Jan 2018
In reply to James Jackson:

Cheers for the heads up. Not on facebook but my partner is so will get him to check. Based in lancashire during the week. Weekends wherever conditions are best in my van. Would be more than happy to travel to the cairngorms/fort bill. 

Have van, will travel - glorious! The SAIS blogs are great for conditions photos and a running commentary on conditions:

https://www.sais.gov.uk

I'm not in Scotland this season unfortunately, but from what I'm picking up, the following is pretty much what's occurring.  Best right now in terms of amount of snow is in the West, with strong westerly winds putting a load of windslab on E facing stuff.  The winter climbers are waist deep in places getting to climbs. 

In terms of where to go, depends on what you're after... If it's primarily lift-accessed but into some great terrain, try Nevis Range (although it will be a) really busy and b) probably a fairly high avi risk in the Back Corries). Same for Glen Coe - it'll be rammed at the weekend but touring from the top lift (or just skiing off the back - some great gentle gully lines there) can get you some epic skiing that feels very remote very quickly.

Nice touring terrain in the Southern Cairngorms (less snow in the East, but people have been out and finding nice stuff to go for). The terrain tends to be less 'wild' around Glenshee, for example, than out West.

Northern Cairngorms from the ski centre car park is a classic venue. Touring around there - up to the plateau, down to Loch A'an, onwards up under Hell's Lum and down to Loch Etchachan is an amazing gentle (but long) outing. Definitely do-able at the moment, but you'd be picking your way in places as it's very wind-scoured (http://ncairngormsblog.sais.gov.uk/2018/01/cold-with-sunny-spells-2/).

Lovely around Glencoe, and there's lots of snow. Pick a nice-looking mountain on the map and tour up it!

Further South, Ben Lawers and Meall nan Tarmachan have great skiing, generally on a grassy / heather base, on every aspect. You can approach from the S (from the car park above Loch Tay - take snow tyres / chains currently though, there are always cars getting into trouble on the high road, and I've heard it is drifting at the moment), or from Glen Lyon in the N. Not sure what that road is like at the moment though.

That's some ideas for a starter, without going into the stuff even further NW, which is really the hidden gem (but a long long way for you) of Scottish skiing.  If I were around this weekend, I would probably be heading either to Lawers area to lap some fun bowls, Creag Meagaidh to explore the gullies in Corrie Adair, or Nevis to go lapping the backs.

OP Andrew Holden 18 Jan 2018

Thanks very much for taking the time to write such a detailed and informative reply. Thats just the kind of info i was after. I didn’t want to do anything too steep due to the avalanche risk and being able to strap skiis on straight out the car park would be awesome. Ben lawyers looks like a great shout. Closer to home too and ticking off an unclimbed munroe. Chains stay in the van all the time. Would love to join you some day to visit those hidden gems in the NW. happy to provide accommodation. 

Cheers

Not a problem at all; love sharing the joys of Scottish skiing!

I've just seen a photo from Lawers today - it looks amazing! Road not cleared so parking at the bottom and touring up, or 4x4, the easiest.

James Jackson 23 Jan 2018

So... How was it? I've seen loads of photos from Lawers this weekend and it looked absolutely amazing!

OP Andrew Holden 23 Jan 2018

Unfortunately i had to work Saturday so didn’t get to enjoy the good weather but what an adventure we had.  Arrived late Saturday evening and got the van stuck down a side road somewhere. Good shout on the chains. They pulled me out the sh#t literally. Set off too late Sunday. Got 2/3 of the way up and the forecasted snow arrived hampering visibility. Got to the top in a whiteout and blizzard. Ended up setting off the wrong side of the mountain and having to traverse a boulder field to get back to where i wanted to be. About half way down the clag cleared and i flew to the bottom. Very surreal skiing through gates and wizzing by fences and sheep. Great fun. 

Thanks for the recommendation. 

James Jackson 24 Jan 2018

Ha - sounds like a classic Scottish ski day; just missing the heather skiing! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...