UKC

Freeride ski: which Binding

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi,

I've just ordered a pair of Black Diamond Boundary Pro 107, 183CM for Off-Piste and post riding.

I'm wondering which binding and boots to use as I currently only have touring boots.

Should I use the touring boots? is that too much of a compromise? 

Dark-Cloud 19 Jan 2018
In reply to Sebastien Degardin:

Too many variables, for instance, how hard do you ski, what boots are they, are they tech compatible ?

i ski piste and tour in Scarpa Maestrale RS, more than good enough for my ability.

James Jackson 20 Jan 2018

If they're tech-binding compatible, you can't go wrong... I do all my skiing with Dynafit Radical ST 2.0 bindings. They are the mutts nuts.

Removed User 20 Jan 2018

Recently there have been two big steps forwards. First the Fritschi Tecton

https://fritschi.swiss/en/products-2/tecton-12/

And now the S/Lab Shift

http://shift-bindings.salomon.com/en

Probably going to see a number of Kingpins and Radicals on Ebay in the near future.

French Erick 21 Jan 2018
In reply to Removed Userandy

> Recently there have been two big steps forwards. First the Fritschi Tecton

> And now the S/Lab Shift

> Probably going to see a number of Kingpins and Radicals on Ebay in the near future.

I don't think you will see that flood past people who love buying new kit (and they are perfectly entitled to indulge themselves ...it's their money). I don't think the shift is that significant when you see the weight of those 2. Pins are fine and light, few tourers feel like entering gullies in a 360 or backflip so the market niche isn't that big.

Post edited due to typo

Post edited at 20:10
Removed User 22 Jan 2018

I didn't write that there would be a flood; but these two build on the Kingpin 13 and take us closer to a tech binding that really can cross over piste, off-piste and tour. They will become the 'standard' until the next step forward; and more and more used bindings are going to appear on selling sites as buyers try to offset the significant purchase costs. If weight is the most important factor to you then you won't be buying. Whilst I can only comment on Tecton 12's; they're just better.

James Jackson 22 Jan 2018
In reply to Removed User:

I do wonder if this style of binding is a solution waiting for a problem, or the result of genuine market pressure. Of course, market pressure could be due to either a perceived need or a real one.

When I do ski in-resort, I never feel like the tech bindings are going to fail me, don't transfer power to the ski, etc. I ski them just as I would an alpine binding. I don't go hitting the park, but I do hoon around! As French Erick alludes to, equally I'm not doing backflips in to gullies, but have absolutely no problem trusting them on steep and / or exposed stuff.

With the advent of rotating toe-pieces and spring-loaded rear sections, I think the argument about different release characteristics and greater risk of blowing knees / ACLs etc is going away too. They do still have slightly different characteristics but again, I've always had them release when I've needed, and not release when I'd rather they stayed on. I'm sure correct setup of the kit is critical too.

Of course, this is all academic guff - if people buy them...

Dark-Cloud 22 Jan 2018

Any input ? 

I am convinced there is something weird going on with all these posts, loads of first time posters, weirdly phrased questions (although by the name is am suspecting this chap is french) normally product related, then the OP never replies....it may be my suspicious mind.....

Removed User 22 Jan 2018

Well I'm a real person....at least I think I am....anyone got Descartes mobile number?

TobyA 22 Jan 2018
In reply to Removed User:

> Well I'm a real person....at least I think I am....anyone got Descartes mobile number?

You'll just get his voice mail saying he is skiing therefor he is(n't there).

French Erick 23 Jan 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I am real too, and no longer consider myself a skier as such. Although growing up and living in a skiing valley up to the age of 20 allows me to make some sweeping statements...or so I think! Admittedly, my borther and half my friends are ski instructors/guides at home.

I have now been telemarking, increasingly more badly, for the last 19 years.

Does it satisfy you richlan? I rarely post on the skiing page but often lurk.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...