UKC

ski mountaineering kit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BedRock 21 Jan 2018

Hi all

I'm interested in doing some more ski mountaineering - have a bit of basic ski experience and thinking of getting some 2nd hand kit so I can potter about some lower hills initially.What kind of ski's should I look for on ebay? or rather what should I avoid?

kevin stephens 21 Jan 2018
In reply to BedRock:what size feet are you? I have 2 pairs of Ski touring boots for sale

Misha 21 Jan 2018
In reply to BedRock:

What size skis are you looking for? I have a pair of the classic Dynastar Altitrail 178cm with classic Fritschi bindings (ie not pin bindings but they should fit any boots), skins and ski crampons which I’d be happy to sell for £150. A basic set up which is functional (skis serviced) and will serve you well when you’re starting out. You wouldn’t be too upset to scratch them up on rocks - which you would be with more expensive stuff! Then if you like touring you can always get lighter kit.

Worth getting decent boots and  getting them custom moulded. I’d spend money on that rather than skis at first.

Having said that, I do have a pair of Scarpa CB1 boots, Mondi 285 I think (will have to check but basically they fit street size 9 and may be 9.5). Heavier than modern stuff but plenty of life left. £20 plus postage. 

Pete Houghton 21 Jan 2018
In reply to BedRock:

Whatever ski you end up on (80-100mm underfoot, about as long as you are tall, nothing too light or too heavy... 1400g to 2000g depending on how big you are), get some old, heavy, shitty frame bindings (Marker Dukes, Salomon Guardians, Fritschi whatevers, etc) and thrash about on them for a season. You'll get stronger calves nice and quickly, and you'll appreciate how much better tech bindings are when you switch to them next season.

Just get something really, really cheap to get acquainted with, and splash out when you know a bit more about it.

Dark-Cloud 21 Jan 2018
In reply to BedRock:

Have a look at the British Backcountry Facebook group, lots of very decent kit for sale. 

No no idea of your level of skiingso as long as you are not 5’ or 7’ something around 90mm underfoot and 175-180 long should be fine for uk touring

HeMa 21 Jan 2018
In reply to BedRock:

You’re asking What car is the best, If I know How to drive. Or What boots are best for me If I climb. 

You need to tell more on your present level and What your ambitions for the future are. 

OP BedRock 22 Jan 2018
In reply to HeMa:

as mentioned in my post, a newbie skiier, haven't a clue of different names of things, but like an adventure so want to buy some cheapish ski's to tour around the mainly Scottish hills with, nothing gnarly or very steep. I don't want to ride on a piste. ever.

i'm 170cm so i'm looking for skiis aorund that length (if I understand from correctly from above post)

Regarding boots - I'll prob splash out on a pair that are comfy and fit - but I guess one ski boot can git different type of ski's? Also, can you put skis on B3 boots or have I made up that bit of info?

Thanks for all comments so far - Misha i'll be in touch re:skiis.

OP BedRock 22 Jan 2018
In reply to kevin stephens:

> what size feet are you? I have 2 pairs of Ski touring boots for sale

I'm a size 7-8

HeMa 22 Jan 2018
In reply to BedRock:

> I don't want to ride on a piste. ever.

Well, those skiing near you will be in for good laughs...

There are 3 kinds of skiers in the bakc country:

1) Freeskier turned ski-tourer... Utter s*iteshow on the way up, due to downhill oriented heavy gear and lack of mountaineering skillz. But will gun down no matter what kind of conditions the downhill portion is and with style. Can read terrain and avalance conditions.

2) Climber turned ski-tourer... Might struggle on steeper skinning terrain, but ones the skis come off, reasonably competent especially when it comes to rope-play. No clue how to ski (up or down),  nor skillz to read the terrain (other than for climbing, which really isn't helpful on the way up or down with skis).

3) A ski tourer... Has background in either climbing or skiing, and spent enough time on the weaker side to get competent in it. Often experience of in both disiplines for numerous years.

So, if you have no experience in skiing (downhill)... well the downhill portio9n is going to be problematic for a  long time. What you need is time skiing downhill, and lots of it. You will not get this in many years if you only tour (unless you live in SLC, which doesn't seem to be the case). So going to the piste is something I would suggest... and actually if starting from scratch, take lessons...

Or do it the hard way, and faceplant for quite a few years... which ain't all that fun, especially with the sharks lurkin' under the snow...

Dark-Cloud 22 Jan 2018
In reply to HeMa:

Excellent appraisal, i am firmly in category 3 and ten years in still struggle with various aspects of it.....

HeMa 22 Jan 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I'm in the 3 category as well... Have been for over half me life (20+ years)... And I still struggle on the downhill... even with training heels.

Of course "struggle" is a relative thing, but for my own goals & where I wish to be I suck... big time. Still for a n00b, I might seem like I'm quite good at this skiing thing.

Actaully, same applies for the climbing as well (with or without skis).

Doug 22 Jan 2018
In reply to BedRock:

read HeMa's post - it's very difficult (probably impossible for most) to get any good at skiing downhill without using the lifts.  I've written similar posts myself several times (probably still on line), based on experience ot wanting (& failing) to do what you propose

OP BedRock 22 Jan 2018
In reply to HeMa:

I understand your point but you don't have to go on a piste to learn to ski - there are people that will teach you away from the piste. Just like you don't have to use an indoor wall to learn to climb.

Dark-Cloud 22 Jan 2018
In reply to BedRock:

Unfortunately your climbing analogy does not work, learning to ski is a VERY different thing. A good piste skier make good off piste skier.

Take the advice of those with the experience, honestly, you will thank us in the long run.

OwenM 22 Jan 2018
In reply to BedRock:

That's going to be a very long slow way of getting where you want to be and a very easy way to hurt yourself.

Really to go ski mountaineering you have to be able to ski, it's that simple. The easiest safest way is to learn is to get some lessions on a dry slope, indoors or on a piste. The best value for money and by far the least boring will be on piste. 

Once you can ski on a piste try it off piste, you'll be surprised at how much more difficult it can be. Then try skiing off piste with a pack on and you'll half way there. There's still an awful lot to learn.    

Post edited at 15:27
 HeMa 22 Jan 2018
In reply to OwenM:

> Once you can ski on a piste try it off piste, you'll be surprised at how much more difficult it can be. Then try skiing off piste with a pack on and you'll half way there. There's still an awful lot to learn.    

Or don’t. Just try it out on some of the northern corries gully. But be sure some other experienced first aid personel are nearby. Preferably with a video camera. 

After all the cuts have been stitched up and bones screwed together, post the vid here for Feedback. Repeat until no stitches or screws are needed. 

Or learn to ski first, and omit the stitches phase. 

kevin stephens 22 Jan 2018
In reply to BedRock:

> I'm a size 7-8

I have a pair of black diamond factor 110 boots that may fit, with walk mode and interchange soles so you could use them on piste skis as well as touring skis, not beginners boots but not experts either, let us will they fit? I’m based in Sheffield if you would like to try them 

Pete Houghton 22 Jan 2018
In reply to BedRock:

Ignore them, you don't need to learn to ski on a piste at all.

https://www.facebook.com/CandideThovex/videos/10155038627933204/

TobyA 22 Jan 2018
In reply to BedRock:

> but you don't have to go on a piste to learn to ski - there are people that will teach you away from the piste.

Who exactly? Does the instructor skin back up the slope with you, or stand at the bottom waiting 45 minutes for you to ski back up so you can put in practice what she has said on your next lap down? A very patient and very good friend is as close as you are going to get to this scenario I guess.

OP BedRock 22 Jan 2018
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

I'll update if any horrific injuries occur, if you don't hear from me I've either died trying, or just happily slogging away on some snow somewhere skiing badly and amusing some onlookers...

Will PM those who have kit that I may be interested in.

Post edited at 19:41

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...