UKC

ARTICLE: Perfect Partners #5 - Dave MacLeod and Natalie Berry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 25 Jan 2018
Natalie and Dave new-routeing on St Kilda in 2017., 5 kbEqually determined and equally quiet, Natalie Berry and Dave MacLeod are two of Scotland's most well known climbers.

In this series of articles, Tom Ripley interviews some well-known climbing partnerships to dig up their dirty secrets and find out what they really think of one another...

Read more
In reply to UKC Articles:

Lovely article. Is the Cobbler a Munro? I’d have guessed not, but I can’t be bothered to check just now.

jcm

pasbury 25 Jan 2018

'...new routes in a spot I came across not far from my house. It has enough climbing to keep me going for a lifetime, it's in a beautiful place and it has not been touched by climbers so far'

Where does he live then... just asking?

In reply to pasbury:

> '...new routes in a spot I came across not far from my house. It has enough climbing to keep me going for a lifetime, it's in a beautiful place and it has not been touched by climbers so far'

> Where does he live then... just asking?

Scotland

John Alcock 25 Jan 2018
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

no

You could have a series of 'Perfect Punter Partnerships'.  One person describes the different people they climb with and their tales of crag based inspiration/incompetence. 

Michael Gordon 25 Jan 2018

Really nice article. Sounds like a fruitful partnership, and the St Kilda routes in particular look superb.

Ace123 25 Jan 2018

Enjoyed reading this article - and I like that you don't have to be 'loud' - just quietly confident in all that you do.

Mick Ward 26 Jan 2018

This is a really great series by Tom Ripley, the sort of thing I used to yearn for in climbing mags of yore. I particularly enjoyed this episode - two complex characters indeed. 'Equally determined and equally quiet' seems to sum them up. Not a bad summation!

Mick

Robert Durran 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

> You could have a series of 'Perfect Punter Partnerships'. 

Or what about "Nightmare Partnerships"; the ones where you never speak to each other again.

Post edited at 08:46
 BALD EAGLE 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Mick Ward:

> This is a really great series by Tom Ripley, the sort of thing I used to yearn for in climbing mags of yore. I particularly enjoyed this episode - two complex characters indeed. 'Equally determined and equally quiet' seems to sum them up. Not a bad summation!

> Mick

Seconded and another great article by Tom on two of Scotland's finest!
Cheers
Dave

Mick Ward 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

Oh God, there's been enough of those! 

Mick

Mick Ward 26 Jan 2018
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

I can't stop chuckling over the image of a very young Natalie peering from the passing train at Dave cutting his privets (and entirely unaware of his/their inspection?) Such a charming vignette - the sort of thing that Duncan Bourne (of this parish) can turn into the most marvellous cartoon. It tickles me!

Mick

In reply to Mick Ward:

> Oh God, there's been enough of those! 

And they usually have a good story behind them.........

James B 26 Jan 2018

Really enjoyed this! Thanks

In reply to Robert Durran: I think I witnessed one of these with you and some other guy at Bosigran in 2015! Not sure who the other guy was but I presume you never spoke to him again after he shouted obscenities at your from across the count house car park! 

In reply to Duncan Campbell:

> I think I witnessed one of these with you and some other guy at Bosigran in 2015! Not sure who the other guy was but I presume you never spoke to him again after he shouted obscenities at you from across the count house car park! 

Oops!  That was awkward.........

I did consider seriously consider chucking all his stuff out of the car and driving back to Scotland, leaving him stranded in Cornwall. But, having failed to procure another partner and having just driven the 600 miles down there the previous day and with the forecast amazing for the week..........   We didn't speak all morning and then came to an (almost) unspoken agreement to abseil into the Great Zawn. There followed an epic ascent of Xanadu in horridly greasy conditions (E2?! ). We were both silently impressed with each others' leads, solemnly shook hands at the top and the incident was never mentioned again.

I imagine Mick Ward might be able to guess who the partner in question was.....

Post edited at 13:44
Removed User 26 Jan 2018

> I imagine Mick Ward might be able to guess who the partner in question was.....

I think I can too :oD

Robert Durran 27 Jan 2018

Great interviews. Must watch Transition again.......

Colin Moody 27 Jan 2018

Dave's E7 at Elgol is called Toast, Hovis is an earlier E6.

Sallyreeves 27 Jan 2018

Nice article, if possibles for future ones could we have say Nick bullock/Tim Neil, mick fowler/Paul ramsden and Andy nisbet/sandy Allen. Probably not that easy to get them for this but worth an ask.

Mick Ward 27 Jan 2018
In reply to Colin Moody:

> Dave's E7 at Elgol is called Toast, Hovis is an earlier E6.

Good to see that irony's still with us.

Mick

tjoliver 27 Jan 2018
In reply to SallyReeves89:

Another great interview Tom. If you can get them, reckon Parnell/Kirkpatrick and Greg Boswell/Guy Roberston would make for some good ones for the future!

Greasy Prusiks 27 Jan 2018

Really good article.

Pete Whittaker and Tom Randall would be good in the future.

I really enjoyed the film ('Transition') as well as the article.

Patrick Roman 28 Jan 2018

Bearsden Young Team??! I never envisaged you as a gang member Natalie! I grew up in Scotstoun, so if there are any climbers out there who are from that neck of the woods we could form our own Young Scotstoun Fleeto gang, and take on Natalie and Dave at the crags (fear we might lose though)...

Haha brilliant. We did Xanadu earlier that week - mega route!

Wee Davie 28 Jan 2018
In reply to Patrick Roman:

Yeah I thought that was quite witty from Natalie. As Bearsden is predominately middle class suburbia I'd imagine the BYT (ya bas!) would spend most of their time running away from the rougher Drumchapel Fleeto, especially with them having Norrie Muir as backup. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...