UKC

Print Screen Functions of Apple and Microsoft

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 25 Jan 2018

I might be being unduly thick, but what is the best way to file a view of the screen that I want to retain for later quick reference? I would like to have a folder that I download these images to, so that all is in the same place, rather than just going onto the desktop.

How do I obtain the image in the first place?

I will use both platforms as I have a Dell XPS 13 and a MacBook Pro.

Rob

mbh 25 Jan 2018
In reply to veteye:

On a Mac, Command-Shift-3 takes a picture of the whole screen while Command-Shift-4 allows you to select a part of the screen. 

The Lemming 25 Jan 2018
In reply to veteye:

Only know about Microsoft.  There is a button on the keyboard that says "print Scrn"

Hit that button.  I then open the Microsoft Paint application and then press the Ctrl+v button combo.  This then creates a screen shot of what I want. I then edit or crop to my heart's content before saving to a file of my choice.

There may be easier ways, but this works for me.

Ciro 25 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

and Alt+PrintScreen if you want a screenshot of the active window, rather than the whole screen.

Ciro 25 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Oh, and if you want less than the active window, on windows 10 you can run the "snipping tool" to directly select the areas you want, saves a bit of time over opening up paint and editing there if you're doing something that requires a few screenshots.

Jim Lancs 25 Jan 2018
In reply to veteye:

Check if your MacBook has a copy of 'Grab' on it (all mine do). This gives you a variety of capture modes which it stores as decent quality tiff files.

DancingOnRock 25 Jan 2018
In reply to veteye:

I use screenhunter. Saves a file straight to the folder you specify with the file name you specify in the format you specify. 

In reply to veteye:

As someone else suggested above Snipping Tool is ace on Windows.

Just press the Windows key and type snip

ben b 25 Jan 2018
In reply to Jim Lancs:

Grab is part of OSX so should be on all macs. 

Can capture a selection, a window, or a screen, with timer if needed. 

Skitch also does this and allows blurring of sensitive data (I use this for sending on expenses claims without the entire credit card bill being readable!).

cheers

b

Derek Jamieson 25 Jan 2018
In reply to veteye:

On the Mac, open preview and towards the bottom of the file menu there are various screen shot options.

D

yorkshire_lad2 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Derek Jamieson:

and if you're viewing this in Firefox, the most recent versions of that browser (I'm currently on v58, and I think it's been around since the last couple) have a very nice "take a screenshot" function (look for the 3 dots at the end of the address bar and click on those dots).

Yes, I know it's not OS related, but it's related to viewing this post....

OP veteye 26 Jan 2018
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Well thank you to all those who have given the advice. I will probably try all the various forms to see which suits, although not all at once/that soon, as the idea is for practising multi-choice questions(and what I propose is approved of .) for an exam coming soon.

Rob

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...