UKC

Distance Learning Degrees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 25 Jan 2018

I'm considering doing another degree - Part time while working.

Now to me the obvious choice is the open university, however they don't really do a course specific enough for what I think I want to do - Zoology. They do however have an interesting looking Natural Sciences course with optional modules.

So I had a google for other providers, some of which are attached to "proper Universities" and others not (and the prices for studying are in some cases eye watering). So I was interested in others experiences/recommendations of colleges/institution

SAF 25 Jan 2018
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I did an OU degree a few years ago, and a brick and mortar degree about 10 years before that. 

The OU degree was well structured, thorough, and suited my learning style.  The learning material and therefore the teaching is always written by leaders in their field (as published books), and they are good at using computers and media to mix up the way it is delivered.  Assessment was thorough.  I had a much better experience with the OU than at a bricks and mortar uni, I could go at my own pace, take my time where needed and rush through stuff that was easy or that I already knew, compared to sitting in lectures covering a subject at the pace someone else has chosen to deliver it. 

However, I was single at the time, studying on top of a full time job, and it did get quite lonely when the workload was high.  It requires discipline and planning to get it done, and you obviously have to motivate yourself.  It is also a lot more expensive now than a few years ago, which is a massive shame.

Good luck with what you choose.

Post edited at 21:30
 Pbob 25 Jan 2018

I'll tell you now that you'll get lots of very positive responses about the Open University. I've done two bachelors degrees. The first in physics at a highly respected traditional uni. The quality of teaching was rubbish. I studied for three years and came out of it with a piece of paper. The second was Geoscience at the OU. The teaching quality was far better even though it was by distance learning. I left came out of it with a fantastic understanding of the subject and found a good job making use of it. Can't fault the organisation in any way. Only a shame that the government pulled must of the funding and the fees are now prohibitively expensive for many.

summo 25 Jan 2018

+1 to both the above comments, having done very similar courses in 90s/00s. 

SAF 25 Jan 2018

I don't know if you are aware, but there is a free "open learn" site that has short courses in a massive range of subjects, many of which are sections lifted from OU degree modules.  Might be worth trying a few to get a feel for how OU studying works before committing a lot of money.

summo 25 Jan 2018
In reply to SAF:

You can often find the older course books for sale online too. 

XXXX 26 Jan 2018

I did a part time masters whilst working full time (and with a small child), finishing a few years back. I chose a bricks and mortar university because I wasn't sure significant flexibility was what I wanted. When you have a busy life, your degree can end up taking 5-6 years as there's always something else to be doing, unless you have an external push.

I did my masters on 1 day a week at uni (I worked flexibly so still did all my hours, using a few days leave here and there to top me up) and it took me two years from first day to dissertation handed in. On average I did about 10-12 hours at home a week during term times. It would be really, really easy to get this time in if you have no other commitments except work.

It's a massive commitment, but don't rule out doing something at a bricks and mortar, local university.

OP balmybaldwin 26 Jan 2018

Thanks for the responses, lots to consider....

Coel Hellier 26 Jan 2018

Out of interest, why would you do a distance learning "degree", as opposed to just studying the subject yourself? 

Nowadays, plenty of stuff is available on line or through Amazon (OU textbooks and all other textbooks can simply be bought).

So you might want the degree because you want the qualification or need it for career advancement, in which case ok.

Or you might want the contact with a tutor to pace you, set you tasks, give feedback, etc.  In which case, ok, but these days you really are paying for it handsomely. 

summo 26 Jan 2018
In reply to XXXX:

> When you have a busy life, your degree can end up taking 5-6 years as there's always something else to be doing, unless you have an external push.

That's a pretty average OU timescale doing 60points a year for the required 360. 

> I did my masters on 1 day a week at uni ...... On average I did about 10-12 hours at home a week during term times. 

I imagine your weekly hours for your masters would be in the mid 20s. The OU would say allow for 16hrs per 60 point course per week. But it depends on previous knowledge. 

Another factor is the OU year starts in Jan, ends in late summer. Which might potentially suit some people better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...