UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Roots, Rock, Arapiles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 26 Jan 2018
Roots, Rock, Arapiles, 4 kbOur Friday Night Video this week takes us to Arapiles. The film explores the origins of rock climbing in the area, in a fun and adventurous story that features some of the pioneers that discovered the area in the 1960s.

Read more
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Very nice,

Chris

jon 26 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Lovely. 

Mick Ward 26 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC News:

So enjoyed this. If we swap Arapiles for Ireland, this was pretty much my childhood.

But hey, they got Arapiles!  Lucky, lucky guys. Good on 'em. Be lucky.

Mick

Rog Wilko 26 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I don't think you can call it "the" Arapiles. Arapiles, Mt Arapiles, the Raps, The Mount. Sorry to be a bit pernickety. Haven't had time to watch it yet, but look forward to it. I imagine Keith "Noddy" Lockwood will figure - he stayed with us last summer and between the rain drops we did Little Chamonix together. Great character.

Damo 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> I don't think you can call it "the" Arapiles.

You can, if you want to annoy people. Some people used to say it, the 'the', not sure why, then it became a thing, people saying it was wrong. Then it became a thing to say it deliberately just for a joke and to wind people up.

It's become a bit of an in-joke, like 'the peaks district' and arguing over the grade of Three Pebble Slab.

Solaris 26 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks so much to those who made this, and to UKC for posting it. A poignant tribute to two great teams: Steve and Pat, and Greg and Ellen. Steve, who was afflicted by Marfan Syndrome, lived and died courageously.  

Post edited at 23:42
 Rog Wilko 27 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Lovely video, much appreciated. Just booked our next trip to Oz - can't wait to get back to the Mount. Finally reached an age where I can do Tiptoe Ridge.

Post edited at 09:32
 cheese@4p 27 Jan 2018
In reply to Mick Ward:

Lucky guys indeed. The dream crag sensation came to mind watching that.

Leppy

AP Melbourne 28 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant that, thanks for putting it up.

My mate Charlie [Creese, New Zealander] reckons that's why he renounced his Kiwi citizenship!

simoninger 28 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Lovely. 

Mick Ward 28 Jan 2018
In reply to cheese@4p:

> Lucky guys indeed. The dream crag sensation came to mind watching that.

Hi Ian,

You're absolutely right!  That was lingering at the back of my mind but I hadn't realised it. It has got that dreamlike quality of being young and carefree and not really knowing what you're doing... but it doesn't really matter, 'cos it's all good. Happy days!

All best wishes,

Mick

P.S. Love to Rose.

P.P.S. Got an email from Boggie just before Christmas - which was nice. Unfortunately he felt that British climbing has become the pits. Hope I haven't fallen out with him. Sure, the past was great but hey, we can still all go out and have fun in the sun.

Mick Ward 28 Jan 2018
In reply to AP Melbourne:

> My mate Charlie [Creese, New Zealander] reckons that's why he renounced his Kiwi citizenship!

Brilliant!

Mick

Robert Durran 28 Jan 2018
In reply to cheese@4p:

>  The dream crag sensation came to mind watching that.

A great little film, but I've yet to see a film or a photo of the Arapiles with the wow factor that makes me really want to go there, so it has remained a long way down my list below nearer destinations - it just doesn't look anything really special to me. But everyone who goes says it is utterly brilliant, so I presume it is just miles better than a film can do justice to. Maybe one day.......

Rog Wilko 28 Jan 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

I guess it depends what your looking for, but there again I'm just about to contradict that. Speaking personally, it is by far and away the best rock venue I have ever been to, but I can only speak personally up to grade 18 (about E1). In that area of difficulty most of the one star routes would be *** anywhere else I've ever climbed. There seem to be plenty of heavily recommended routes at any grade you want to climb.

Robert Durran 28 Jan 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I think it is just the rather messy nature of quartzite that it doesn't generally lend itself to inspiring strong lines that just leap out at you demanding to be climbed. Same with the Anti-Atlas and, in some ways, Gogarth. Of course that doesn't mean that the climbing can't, move for move, be really good.

pneame 28 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC News:

What a super video - great archival footage. And a nice conclusion about trad vs. sport - no grumbling about "this new fangled stuff", just healthy realism. 

I loved the thought about those old school copiers. Brings back memories of the smell...

cheese@4p 29 Jan 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

Robert, I agree, it doesn't look perfect but I was referring to Mick's Dream Crags article. More to do with the fantasy of stumbling across a big undiscovered Crag X and being free to pick off all the lines that appeal to you. That dream really came true for those and plenty of others in that era. Alas not for us?

cheese@4p 29 Jan 2018
In reply to Mick Ward:

Mick if you're not sure whether Boggie has fallen out with you - he hasn't.

Solaris 30 Jan 2018
In reply to Solaris:

I was a bit overwhelmed with emotion seeing that vid of two close friends and erstwhile climbing partners, especially given Steve's premature death last year. Of course, there were *three* teams, Steve Craddock and Greg Lovejoy, and their wives Pat and Ellen - not forgetting Bob and the other climbers, either.

And to UKC, a small point but the pic that accompanies the link to the vid is of the Xanthene slab at Jawbones, E of Melbourne, so quite a long way from Arapiles. 

Damo 31 Jan 2018
In reply to Solaris:

> ... Jawbones, E of Melbourne, so quite a long way from Arapiles. 

Geographically, yes - but even further away in terms of quality!

Good spot. Something about that didn't look right to me.

Solaris 31 Jan 2018
In reply to Damo:

> even further away in terms of quality!

Absolutely, and weather, too, but I always liked the Lyre birds at Jawbones.

ericinbristol 01 Feb 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Lovely, tthank 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...