UKC

"Road Traffic Accident Department"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 26 Jan 2018

Anyone heard of them?

Had a call on my mobile today from 02080893160:

Caller: We understand you were involved in an accident that wasn't your fault"

Me: Where did you get my phone number from?

Caller: From the Road Traffic Accident Department

I googled the number and, sure enough, numerous others were reporting similar and other nuisance calls from the same number.

Where do these goofs think up names like that? It's got about as much credibility as some of these "anti-wrinkle" potions etc.

Ironically I did have a minor no fault bump back in November but made do claim

Post edited at 20:54
 Billhook 26 Jan 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

I think it is simple marketing maths.

Phone enough numbers up

You'll hit paydirt eventually - lots of people have or have been involved in accidents "recently".

If its a fraudulent scam they'll want your bank details etc.,, etc., (to put the dosh they'll get for you.......)

If its a real  claims company they've probably offered you a no win no fee basis and X% of their successful claim.

Out of every 1000 numbers dialled you only need one person to fall for it to be worth while.

How did they get your number?  They don't need to.  Simply start off with the lowest six figure number, say 100000 or 11 digits for mobiles and there's software which will automatically dial every sequential number thereafter.

OP mypyrex 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave Perry:

> How did they get your number?  They don't need to.

Yes, I know that, Just wanted to see how she handled it; what cock and bull name she came up with.

I think it was a spoofed number anyway so probably not legitimate

PPP 26 Jan 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

I keep getting calls "do you have life insurance?" calls lately. Then they ask if I have any dependants... I haven't figured out whether these questions is a threat or an offer yet. 

wilkie14c 26 Jan 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

why do you even bother answering the phone to these calls? unless the number is from one of my contacts or i’m expecting a call (specsavers today for example) I wont even answer, if it’s something important they’ll leave a message 

Dax H 27 Jan 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

Your number will be on lots of databases unfortunately that these parasites tap in to. 

They are a real pain in the arse but you can have some fun, I was waiting for a site meeting when I got one recently. I managed to keep them going for about 15 minutes but ultimately they hung up when I said God was to blame for the accident, "sorry sir I didn't catch that" God is to blame, if he/she hadn't made it snow I wouldn't have fallen off my motorbi *click*

Rigid Raider 27 Jan 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

The ones that really bug me are the automatic voice ones. A quite well-spoken woman's voice says: "Hello?" You reply "Yes?" then the spiel starts. Yesterday a London number called me so instead of ignoring it I answered, suspecting it might be a claims line so I said nothing. The voice doesn't need your reply, it's cleverly timed to allow you to acknowledge then it carries on. I've never continued for long enough to work out at what point in the exchange you get passed to a real human.

Parasites and scum of the Earth. I don't know why the insurance industry hasn't done something about them. Maybe they are all in cahoots.

Philip 27 Jan 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

I had them recently. I told them I'd had 3 accidents recently, losing a leg in each. Unperturbed, the caller continued to press me for information on the most recent. Asking how many occupants in the vehicle, I said 12, and he asked for the model. I told him was a Ford Fiesta.

He hung up.

Trangia 27 Jan 2018
In reply to wilkie14c:

> why do you even bother answering the phone to these calls? unless the number is from one of my contacts or i’m expecting a call (specsavers today for example) I wont even answer, if it’s something important they’ll leave a message 

The problem with doing that is that there are some genuine callers who withold their numbers - our GP surgery and our local hospital appointments department for example - so you could miss an important call.

Trangia 27 Jan 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

I've had the Road Traffic Accident Department ring me several times over the last 18 months. The first time I told hem I'd not heard of that Department and asked her where they are based? 

"London" she replied

"Yes, but, where in London?" I asked

There was a slight hesitation whilst she thought, then she replied "The High Street"

"Yes, but what number The High Street?" I asked

Click

toad 27 Jan 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

Its a phishing scam , pure and simple. They want enough info  to at best sell your details on or at worst clean out your bank account.. 

CasWebb 27 Jan 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

They're trying to flog you accident management services. Had a similar call yesterday and pointed out they were cold calling and therefore breaking the law as my number is registered with tps, and the call was being recorded....click 

More_Than_a_Plod 28 Jan 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

If you've never seen or heard it before. Pop "Tom mabe homicide scene" into YouTube.

It's pay back.

Neil Williams 28 Jan 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

The thing I find funny about phishing of all kinds (which this sort-of is) is that it is so pathetically and obviously bad.  It really wouldn't be hard to spend a small amount of time to make it look properly genuine...but they never do!

Trangia 28 Jan 2018
In reply to Neil Williams:

Don't tell them, or they might!

timjones 28 Jan 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

I've given up on answering any calls from 020 numbers, if it's genuine they will leave a message.

Hooo 28 Jan 2018
In reply to Neil Williams:

I don't know how true it is, but I've heard the crappiness of phishing scams is deliberate. People smart enough to spot the mistakes in the original email are probably not going to fall for the scam, so there's no point in the scammers wasting time on them.

Gone 28 Jan 2018
In reply to Philip:

My partner managed to waste their time for a bit without telling the slightest lie. They described the accident and how they ended up in hospital for a week, just being a bit vague about when exactly it took place. Eventually they had to let slip that it happened in 1979.

JEF 28 Jan 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

I told one caller that I had indeed had an accident, it was terrible, I died as a result.

She put me through to her supervisor!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...