UKC

Phone for 12yr old

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hpil 27 Jan 2018

Need to get daughter #1 a phone for high school. She's not too fussed about it - any recommendations for sim only deals & cheap but decent (2nd hand will do) sim free phones. Any ay recommendations for friend / family tracking apps that will get location just by network triangulation rather than GPS? 

alx 27 Jan 2018
In reply to hpil:

One of those ones with wheels, a red handset and a face?

Check out the Nokia 105. It costs £5, floats and does everything you asked for but the gps bit

Post edited at 10:54
Columbia753 27 Jan 2018
In reply to alx:

Good answer. Toys are Us should be his first port of call.

Blue Straggler 27 Jan 2018
In reply to hpil:

eBay £50 for an unlocked Lumia 640 or similar.
Crap camera on it might be a Godsend for you. Long battery life. I don't know about the friend/family tracking apps, sorry.

Tim Davies 27 Jan 2018
In reply to hpil:

My daughter had a very basic Nokia (my old hillwalking/ affair phone). Useful as she has a long bus journey commute  each day. 

Currentky lost. Cheap to buy, only really lost the credit that was remaining. Debating whether she'll get another....

Post edited at 14:08
Bogwalloper 27 Jan 2018
In reply to hpil:

Perfect time for you to get a new one and hand your current one down. It's what I do every 2/3 years.

W

Ciro 27 Jan 2018
In reply to hpil:

I'm trying to imagine what it would have been like if my parents could have tracked my location when I was 12, and it seems horrific. 

Mind you, must be a few quid in it for the entrepreneurial kid who carries the phones around school all day, or the guy who finds all the phones stashed in the hedge by the football park of an evening

Gordonbp 28 Jan 2018
In reply to Ciro:

I really don't know how we all survived without mobile phones.....having said that, most of the phone boxes have either gone or been vandalised....

Tony Jones 28 Jan 2018
In reply to hpil:

I'm intrigued that she's not fussed about what kind of phone she gets. My daughter is the same age and the majority of her school friends seem to have iphones. We have resisted so far (both her parents manage to survive without expensive smart phones) but it's something of a battle and she does get excluded from things because she can't communicate using snapchat or whatever it is they do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...