UKC

Alpine Treking Tour - June

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 domwhyte 27 Jan 2018

Hi,

I'm looking at the options for a week in the Alps (honeymoon) with my partner in June (departing 23 or 24th). Nothing technical and thinking huts, guided or otherwise. She's had 3 seasons of hill walking in the UK and future goals are winter skills course (next year)and alpine peaks beyond that. any advice, tips or company recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Dom

Mouflon 28 Jan 2018
In reply to domwhyte:

After trips to many parts of the Alps, for a walking tour I'd recommend the Tour of Vanoise based on the Cicerone guide.
Did it last September and apart from the long ascent and descent on the first and last days, each day is easyish walking. The marmots seemed to be tamer than anywhere else and saw some gypaetes (vultures) closer than normal. 
The huts were good and unlike my old French alpine trips, they all had draught beer from local micro-breweries - luxury.
Flew into Milan and got the train to Modane.
If you decide to go for it, email me and I'll give you more info.

cb294 28 Jan 2018
In reply to domwhyte:

Go South. Huts in central and Northern Alps will just be opening around that time, and there will still be plenty of snow higher up.

CB

OP domwhyte 28 Jan 2018

Thanks for that - will look into those options, but it's now likely to be the end of Sept as she's set her heart on Skye for the honeymoon, which is fine by me!

Calvi 01 Feb 2018
In reply to domwhyte

Mouflon mentioned the tour of the Vanoise, late June will be too early, could be scary amounts of snow still lurking. Head further south, the GR5 section near Nice is stunning. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...