UKC

Ski goggles - Low light/visibility + winter climb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My old goggles have final given up the will to live after a solid 15 years of service.

I mainly ski in sunglasses and revert to goggles when snowing and/or in flat light conditions. Would also like the option of using them while winter climbing if needed....

Any suggestions/recommendations.... last ones were Bolle and would be looking £30 - £100

Dave the Rave 27 Jan 2018
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

Just bought 2 pairs of double yellow lensed Cebe off eBay for £20. They are immaculate. 

Billhook 28 Jan 2018

I use a pair of yellow tinted safety glasses from a builders merchant.  Cost £4;50, but you can get other tints too.

neuromancer 28 Jan 2018

Best low light lenses on the market are probably smith's blue sensor? Or ingitor for mixed conditions?

Just put them in whatever goggle you can afford to / want to buy?

abcdef 28 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave Perry:

other than price are there any advantages to these? do they seal around the face or more like safety glasses?

tonyaitch 28 Jan 2018

Bolle Mojo can be bought with clear lenses. Great idea for Scotland when you might be night navigating and don't want a dark lens.

Billhook 28 Jan 2018
In reply to abcdef:

They are good enough for scotland in blizzard conditions.  They are a fairly close fit, but let enough air through so they don't fog up.  They look more like wrap around sunglasses than ski goggles.

One other advantage is that because they are relatively cheap, you don't have to be so precious about looking after them and in comparison to ski goggles they take far less space up and weigh next to nothing.  Most DIY places such as Home Base, B&Q and all the builders merchants sell them.  They often come in a variety of tints.  Yellow being the best for dull flat light I believe.

random_watcher 28 Jan 2018

I bought a pair of Anon goggles for skiing on which the lens is held in with magnets. It makes it very quick and easy to swap between low light and sunny lens which I could never really be bothered to do before.

It looks like the idea has been copied by this company, https://www.summitworldwide.eu/ they would be at the top end of your budget but they do come with both lens and are by far the easiest to swap mechanism I've come across.

Thanks, I'll look into all those

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...