UKC

Bad weather options for Torridon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 29 Jan 2018

Holidays and accommodation booked in February, but inevitably you have to prepare for worst - what if it's a no-go for a day or more? I have looked through the usual suspects and I cannot think of anything! Surely, a cafe or a pub is an option (any recommendations?) and I am stacking up few books just in case.

I spent a day reading in a sleeping bag in Camban Bothy last March when it was hail all day. The bothy definitely got a thorough clean that day, though! 

Any places to drive up that can offer anything nice in bad weather? Any pubs/restaurants nearby worth visiting? Any hidden gems or even low level walks worthwhile doing? I could take an XC bike with me, but if I can ride a bike, I would rather go up a hill. 

Jon Stewart 30 Jan 2018
In reply to PPP:

If it's really pissed it down (or even if it hasn't), drive up to the Corrieshalloch Gorge: it's an incredibly sight to behold, and right by the roadside. About an hour's drive - with stops for tea and/or other sight-seeing diversions, it could be a most enjoyable day,

Post edited at 00:12
 Andy Moles 30 Jan 2018
In reply to PPP:

A walk out the peninsula at Diabaig is pretty, if a bit boggy in bad weather. Or if you walk along the coast in the other direction, you can visit Craig bothy, or even carry on past it to the other road end at Redpoint. Again, it'll be quite boggy.

The Torridon Inn will be open, and there is also the Whistlestop Cafe in Kinlochewe and the Beinn Eighe bar in the Kinlochewe Hotel. Or you could drive through the Bealach na Ba and go to the Applecross Inn, then back around the top of the peninsula. There's quite a nice cafe by Applecross junction as well, and a seafood place in Kishorn. I don't know whether all these places will be open in February.

If you get really desperate to climb, there's a small indoor wall in Gairloch. I once spent a wet day at the Rubha Reidh lighthouse on the peninsula north of Gairloch, watching a feature film about the building of Scottish lighthouses in the little museum there.

Post edited at 08:21
 DerwentDiluted 30 Jan 2018
In reply to PPP:

The coastal walk from Inver Alligin to Diabaig is very nice in most weathers.

Andy Nisbet 30 Jan 2018
In reply to PPP:

Moy Rock is an hour's drive, 45mins if you're quick.

Tall Clare 30 Jan 2018
In reply to PPP:

Jo's cafe - Torridon Stores - in Torridon village is a good place to while away rainy times with a book and some cake.

Nanny's in Shieldaig is also good, but I think they might close for some of winter - check their Facebook page.

Head round to the mountain cafe and bookshop at Gairloch, as another option.

Flinticus 30 Jan 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

I'll second Jo's cafe. From their website looks to be closed Sunday. Got a nice big print there too of the CMD arete and Ben Nevis. Cheap too.

I did once drive to Torridan from Glasgow, sleep in the car (too windy to pitch my tent) and drive home soon after a very short walk. 

Tall Clare 30 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Jo did our wedding 'breakfast' (for which read tea and cake) after we got married at the old 'church' space on Am Ploc, the spur of land opposite the cafe - and she's also very good at making gluten free cakes, if you ring ahead and give her warning!

OP PPP 31 Jan 2018
In reply to PPP:

Many thanks everyone! Noted, just hope the weather to be manageable as otherwise it would be the fifth time in a row with pretty bad weather in that area. 

Post edited at 07:32
In reply to PPP: a quick note on corrieshalloch gorge. The bridge is closed at the moment. The short trails through pine wood on other side of Ben eighe are worather a look. The beaches at Redpoint and Mellon udrigle are lovely if a bit of a drive. There is a local guidebook to short walks that cover torridon. Good to have a copy for off days 

Mark Bull 31 Jan 2018
In reply to PPP:

Nice wee bookshop in Gairloch but I don’t rate the cafe adjoining it, the Steading is much better. 

The wee rocky hills between Gairloch and Loch Maree can be a useful option when the high tops are not a goer, e.g. An Groban above Flowerdale. 

Other good beaches at Gairloch golf club, Big Sand and Firemore. 

Or drive over to the Black Isle and watch the dolphins at Chanonry Point. 

Flinticus 02 Feb 2018
In reply to PPP:

Wishing you well. Really. I know how disheartening and personal repeated bad weather can feel. After my short overnighter in the car, my last visit was over a couple of stunning days with heat exhaution and sun burn the main risk..during day light. At night, it was all Pitch Black.

Hope you get the movie reference!

Heike 02 Feb 2018
In reply to PPP:

There are interesting geocaches to be found which I did in the grimmest of weather with a 5 year old. Good fun and quite challenging and it gets you out and about....

In reply to Mark Bull:

hate to say it but the folk that run the bookshop and cafe (hillbilles) are unpleasant. They even insulted my 82 year old mother in front of the entire cafe for sitting down 'out of turn'. 

Mark Bull 03 Feb 2018
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

That’s partly why I don’t go to the cafe, plus the coffee and tea taste revolting for some reason. Nobody’s been rude to me in the bookshop but it would not surprise me. 

Dauphin 04 Feb 2018
In reply to PPP:

Huge bag of skunk & a crate of ale. Redpoint & Diabeg walk are good options.

D

Lucy Wallace 04 Feb 2018
In reply to PPP:

We did a very wet and windy christmas in Torridon a couple of years ago. Nice walk to Diabeg as mentioned. Also...bring mountain bikes! There are some great trails for all levels. If you don't have them you can hire from the Torridon Inn. 

In reply to PPP:

Hi, We have a bunkhouse in Kishorn, so if the weather is super bad you can always ring us up and book in. (Beds are £17 pppn, and its £3 if you need to hire a sleeping bag) We have a super hot powerful shower, a drying room and a wood burning stove in the lounge so plenty to warm you up after being out in the dreich weather.

The Kishorn seafood bar is open for some of Feb this year (Friday 9th- Monday 13th, and Friday 23rd-Monday 26th, 10.30am-3.30pm)

Also the Coastal Kitchen at Tigh an Eilean in Sheildig is great for food in the evening, and they have a fireplace in the bar downstairs.

Climbing wise, depending on the wind direction there may be some sea cliffs you could check out just south of Applecross- I had a look the other day and it seemed pretty sheltered, but I haven't tried any routes yet.

Diabeg is good, but as people say a bit boggy in bad weather, there's also a good low level walking route round the back of the Liathach, or from Coulags (just north of Lochcarron) to Annat (Just south of Torridon (There's also a great bothy on that route) All those routes will have boggy patches though.

In Lochcarron and Kishorn, there are quite a few gallery's if you're interested in local art, plus there is the Patterns of Light art and gift shop opposite our bunkhouse.

Loch Maree is always worth a visit, no matter what the weather is you see a different side of it beauty!

And If you're into slacklining and want to stay at the bunkhouse for a night we can set some up in the garden with a tarp to keep the rain off! (we also have every Trail magazine printed since 2006, and a few good mountaineering books, so plenty to read!!)

www.ourscottishadventure.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...