UKC

Best travel mug?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 edhawk21 30 Jan 2018

Anyone got any ideas what is the best travel mug for longer trips? I'm going sailing this weekend and want something spill proof but ideally that I can use on alpine trips and bike packing missions after that.

nathan79 30 Jan 2018
In reply to edhawk21:

Contigo West Loop, Camelbak Forge or Primus Commuter mug. All £20-30 and all do a good job of insulting and not leaking.

kingborris 30 Jan 2018
In reply to nathan79:

+1 for the contigo

rackandruin 30 Jan 2018
In reply to nathan79:

>All £20-30 and all do a good job of insulating and not leaking.

Fixed that unless they really are rude boy mugs ? ?

Post edited at 11:57
 nathan79 30 Jan 2018
In reply to rackandruin:

DOH! I don't even have the excuse of predictive text as it was typed on a keyboard..

Al_Mac 30 Jan 2018
In reply to nathan79:

My Camelbak Forge is awful, it doesn't keep drinks warm at all, although it doesn't leak. Conversely my Bodum steel mug is brilliant at keeping things warm, and stops them sloshing out, but you can't invert it otherwise you end up with a bag filled with coffee.

Siward 30 Jan 2018
In reply to edhawk21:

As linked to on the other flask thread:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-travel-mug/

nathan79 30 Jan 2018
In reply to Cloverleaf:

To be fair I've never owned the Camelbak (own there other two though) but I've always heard it spoken highly of.

I've got one of those Bodum ones. Fine for the cup holder in the car but that's about it. Use mine mainly for the coffee press.

JayPee630 30 Jan 2018
In reply to edhawk21:

Contigo is expensive but brilliant. Use mine nearly every day, probably paid itself back many times over in fewer take away coffees bought.

In reply to edhawk21:

Primus Commuter, metal one not plastic one.

Totally leakproof and great thermal properties, I even use it as flask for winter mountain days too.

1philjones1 30 Jan 2018
In reply to edhawk21:

I’ve just got the Sigg mug/flask. Good for 6-8hrs hot on a mountain in winter 

Dell 30 Jan 2018
In reply to edhawk21:

Do you want a mug or a flask?
Is it to be used to just drink out of, or to store drinks in as well? 

KevinJ 30 Jan 2018
In reply to edhawk21:

I really liked my Contigo - until it leaked down the front of my shirt in the car on my way to work.  The seal had stretched and failed.  Mind you I had been using it for about a year or so.

Lifeventure travel mug works well for me.  About £11 from Cotswold and not too worried about it not staying upright.  only downside is having to completely remove the lid to drink from it.  

jamie_bkc 31 Jan 2018
In reply to edhawk21:

I bought a hydroflask one with the flip top lid 6 months ago, its been brilliant, gets used every week stuffed loosely in my bag cycling to work without leaking and keeping the coffee I make at 6:30 hot long enough that I'm still gingerly sipping at 10. Haven't tested how long it stays hot for because the drink usually ends up drunk first.

https://www.hydroflask.com/12-oz-wide-mouth#92=54

Post edited at 07:42
OP edhawk21 31 Jan 2018
In reply to Dell:

Either really just something that wont spill and will keep things warm that I can drink out of

Mr. Lee 31 Jan 2018
In reply to edhawk21:

Alpkit have a great thermos mug. I bought my girlfriend one a Christmas gift, now a little jealous.

jamscoz 31 Jan 2018
In reply to edhawk21:

Another vote for hydroflask. Had one over a year - Keeps coffee hot for a satisfactory length of time, simple lid is easy to clean that also hasn't / doesn't leak. Robust enough to take knocks with added bonus of not emptying instantly when accidently tipped over with drinking (hole?) open. Only downside is its a few mm to wide for cup holder in transit van. Would buy another if lost...

Post edited at 08:52
 JayPee630 31 Jan 2018
In reply to jamscoz:

It says the flip drink lid thing isn't leak proof on the Hydroflask website, is that right?

Dell 31 Jan 2018
In reply to edhawk21:

I use a Keep Cup (original 12oz model) with a neoprene  'can cooler' around it. It's small, light, tough and keeps a brew warm while you're drinking it, even outside in the cold/wind.  You can't leave it in a rucksack but is fine for drinking from in a moving vehicle. 

Then there's a contigo push button mug/flask thing that I use occasionally. It's an older discontinued model but doesn't leak. 

The former if you just want to make a drink and drink it there, the latter if you want a hot drink you can consume over a couple of hours whilst on the move. 

If you want it to be for alpine/bikepacking then I'd suggest one of the flask types would be too heavy. 

jamie_bkc 31 Jan 2018
In reply to JayPee630:

Probably not 100% no, but you'd have to go some/store it full and upside down, I can give mine a good flick and not lose anything.

Glyno 31 Jan 2018
In reply to edhawk21:

I've got a cupboard full of various travel mugs, none of which are perfect.

However, I got one of these from someone for xmas and it's absolutely brilliant, I use it all the time.

It looks stunning too!

https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/order/accessories/original/citiz-travel-mug

Post edited at 15:44
 jamscoz 31 Jan 2018
In reply to JayPee630:

I've never had any leaks out of it. Quite happy sticking it in bags with my laptop and whatever else needs to be coffee free... The flip drinking hole cover doesn't have a (silicone?) seal - just plastic on plastic but it's never allowed anything out. So far....

DoctorYoghourt 31 Jan 2018
In reply to nathan79:

> All £20-30 and all do a good job of insulting and not leaking.

I hate being insulted by a mug.  I always pack a nice wine glass...

Sharp 01 Feb 2018
In reply to edhawk21:

If you're going to use it as your main mug while you're sailing then I would buy something cheap from TKMax and get something decent for your alpine/biking trips. A good insulating mug will mean you're drinking your tea 40 minutes later than everyone else because it's still roasting hot - holding heat is great when it's sat in your bag for lunch time but not so great when you're trying to drink your morning coffee although I guess you can just add a little cold to it.

snoop6060 01 Feb 2018
In reply to nathan79:

> Contigo West Loop, Camelbak Forge or Primus Commuter mug. All £20-30 and all do a good job of insulting and not leaking.

£30 for a mug?! Bloody Nora. 

I’d be expecting some quite fantastic insults for that sort of money. You got any examples of it’s work? 

Dave B 01 Feb 2018
In reply to snoop6060:

"your mother was 'an 'amster, and your father smelled of elderberries" is what my one tells me. I really don't understand it.

anaeurope 02 Feb 2018
In reply to edhawk21:

I have Trudeau Sirius travel mug, i love it, it's stainess steel and very easy to hold and it doesn't spill at all.

Hope this helps.

d_b 02 Feb 2018
In reply to edhawk21:

I have a plastic mug that I picked up in 1997 for around 99p.  It appears to be indestructible and unlosable, neither of which apply to all the other mugs I have gone through since then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...