UKC

Coping through climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lizard Ollie 31 Jan 2018

Looking back through some old articles and threads on UKC and racking my brain of experiences, both personal and from others, climbing seems to play a large role in helping people cope.

I've seen examples of this ranging from coming to terms with a loss (romantically or a death; a climbing partner or otherwise), dealing with mental illness, becoming more comfortable in one's own skin or rehabilitation from drug addiction or alcoholism. Maybe this is a common theme among lots of sports and hobbies, but it seems climbing in particular seems to play a pivotal role in helping people through. Perhaps it's the aspect of being combined with nature and the outdoors. I can't really put a finger on it from my perspective, I guess it just makes me happy and clears the mind.

I'm interested in other people's thoughts and maybe any further reading into this if that exists at all?

Ollie

Gordonbp 31 Jan 2018
In reply to Lizard Ollie:

You might like to have a look here: https://climboutofdepression.blogspot.co.uk

I was a founding "associate" of this, and although it's gone dormant, there's a lot of stuff still relevant there. It also got a mention on NHS Choices!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...