UKC

ARTICLE: Remembering Elizabeth Hawley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 01 Feb 2018
Liz Hawley and Sibusisu., 4 kbAs a tribute to the late Elizabeth Hawley, who died in Kathmandu on 26 January aged 94, Steve Bell has released this excerpt from his forthcoming memoir and sequel to Virgin on Insanity. It describes a meeting that took place in May 2017.

Read more
 Mick Ward 01 Feb 2018
In reply to UKC Articles:

Wonderful!!!

'Through her work, she marked the beginning and the end of every Himalayan endeavour, and at that moment I felt connected to all of them, via the conduit of this little old lady who sat at the centre of a web of heroism and tragedy. I was moved. A handshake seemed appallingly inadequate, so I bent forwards, as if making a bow, and kissed her hand. Miss Elizabeth Hawley said nothing.'

Mick

rtinma 01 Feb 2018

What a beautiful tribute.

AP Melbourne 01 Feb 2018

Absolutely charming that Steve and beautifully written, well done.

Andy.

aln 01 Feb 2018

That was lovely to read, but didn't tell me much. I'd never heard of Elizabeth Hawley so knew nothing about her. I don't know much more now. 

Henry Iddon 02 Feb 2018

If this is anything to go by the Steve's memoir will be excellent. 

Kafoozalem 02 Feb 2018

A really beautiful piece of writing Steve.

ditchy 02 Feb 2018
In reply to UKC Articles: Lovely piece of writing. Can't help thinking of the ferryman on the river styx, though Mrs Hawley does returns!

Steve Bell 05 Feb 2018
In reply to aln:

Glad you enjoyed the read. It's a tribute to Liz, not a bio. If it's a bio you're after, here's an excellent one:

http://rockandice.com/features/the-one-who-counts/

aln 06 Feb 2018
In reply to Steve Bell:

Thanks. I'll have a read later. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...