UKC

ALDI Down Sleeping Bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jockster 04 Feb 2018

Maybe good if you are on a budget or need a bag that you do not mind trashing:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/crane-down-filled-sleeping-bag/p/081656189838300

The Lemming 04 Feb 2018
In reply to jockster:

I saw them a week or so ago and thought they were best for the target audience, who were anglers.  The bags were among a load of fishing kit.

If my safety rested on such a bag, then I'd choose a budget synthetic option.

Post edited at 21:35
 olddirtydoggy 04 Feb 2018
In reply to jockster:

They're pulling feathers off Cranes??!!

In reply to jockster:

Saw them in the store. Not impressed; filling didn't compress and loft well.

ianstevens 05 Feb 2018
In reply to captain paranoia:

Almost like there is a reason that good, ethical (well, as ethical as possible) down sleeping bags cost £150+. 

To the OP: whilst I haven't seen the bag in question, most of the outdoor/bike stuff Aldi/Lidl have that I've got fit badly and are made to a price point (i.e. cheap, so badly) with terrible longevity. Cheap, throw-away-shite for a single-use society. 

Edit: spelling

Post edited at 08:01
andrew breckill 05 Feb 2018
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

my first thought too, also, is it as warm as goose down?

GarethSL 05 Feb 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

> Almost like there is a reason that good, ethical (well, as ethical as possible) down sleeping bags cost £150+. 

They do state: "Filling Material: 85% Duck down, 15% Feather (not live plucked or from force fed birds)"

PaulJepson 05 Feb 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

I got some Crane Merino Long Johns that have lasted 2500+ trail miles.

Granted, I only sleep in them but don't dismiss everything outright. 

ianstevens 05 Feb 2018
In reply to PaulJepson:

I have used their stuff, not just dismissing. In my use I've found the 4-5 things I've got from them (including base layers) crap.

In reply to ianstevens:

As with everything, you have to assess the quality of what's in front of you. If you can't do that, buy elsewhere, from a supplier you trust.

I've got cycling stuff from Aldi that has lasted years. But I checked the quality before I bought, and I regularly decide not to buy stuff, because a quick look tells me it's not quality. Like the down bag.

ianstevens 05 Feb 2018
In reply to captain paranoia:

> As with everything, you have to assess the quality of what's in front of you. If you can't do that, buy elsewhere, from a supplier you trust.

Exactly what I do - which is why I don't buy kit from Aldi, outdoor or bike.

TobyA 05 Feb 2018
In reply to PaulJepson:

Yep, I've got merino longjohns both from Aldi and Lidl and both pairs are lasting well - as good as some smartwool ones that cost 4 or 5 times the cost.

The first ones I bought from Aldi did split on a seam though first night or two out. The shop refunded me without question though.

Timmd 05 Feb 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> I saw them a week or so ago and thought they were best for the target audience, who were anglers.  The bags were among a load of fishing kit.

> If my safety rested on such a bag, then I'd choose a budget synthetic option.

I'm thinking that if it's only a 2 season bag, one's safety mightn't be so much at risk other than in having an uncomfortable night's sleep, and that the down could keep it's ability to insulate for longer than a synthetic bag would do.  If they're warm enough for the user, for car camping where bulk isn't as important they could be better value than a synthetic bag due to the life span of down being approx 30 years (from what I've read written by Rab Carrington and similar). I'd want to try one out somewhere closer to home before taking it away camping though. 

Post edited at 21:08
In reply to ianstevens:

> Exactly what I do - which is why I don't buy kit from Aldi, outdoor or bike.

Then you are obviously not very good at accurately assessing the quality before you buy:

> In my use I've found the 4-5 things I've got from them (including base layers) crap.

marsbar 05 Feb 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

I've got dry bags that came from aldi  or lidl, can't remember which. A little heavier than some, but durable and a good size, have lasted years and years of use and abuse with no problems or leaking.  

Some of it is OK some of it is crap.   

The Lemming 05 Feb 2018
In reply to marsbar:

> Some of it is OK some of it is crap.   

From what I saw of the sleeping bag when I handled it, I'd say the product was on the second of your two options.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...