UKC

UK sport climbing in winter season

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ula S. 07 Feb 2018

Hello,

I am looking for good spots in UK for sport climbing in winter ( places all year round good for climbing),ie: sheltered or relatively dry.

any recommendations /suggestions preferably England.

thank you for your tips,

Ula

GridNorth 07 Feb 2018
In reply to Ula S.:

Wyndcliff Quarry and Brean Down are both sun traps.  I've climbed at both in January in just a teeshirt.

Al

Ciro 07 Feb 2018
In reply to Ula S.:

+1 for Brean Down, a great wee winter venue. Some sun traps down on Portland too, or there were anyway if they haven't collapsed?

South coast of Wales is also worth exploring.

flaneur 07 Feb 2018
In reply to Ula S.:

Depends where you're based. If it's southern England as above. Brean, some bits Cheddar (Easter Island, Sunnyside terrace - other areas can be Siberian), Cuttings at Portland, and the Swanage quarries can all be good. All S to W facing.

Pay close attention to the weather forecast: air temperature is rarely the limiting factor, direct sun is critical, and the wind direction should be blowing over the top of the crag not towards it or along it.

Ula S. 07 Feb 2018
In reply to Ula S.:

Thank you everyone! Very much appreciate it!!! happy and safe climbing

Ian Bell 07 Feb 2018
In reply to Ula S.:

Tirpentwys is good in South Wales

Tirpentwys

stp 07 Feb 2018
In reply to Ula S.:

I believe Portland <i>can</i> be pretty good in winter having it's own microclimate. I've climbed at nearby Swanage on Boxing Day one year and I ended up in just a vest and shorts it was so warm.

Ramon Marin 08 Feb 2018
In reply to Ula S.

Brean Down and sometimes The Cuttings. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...