UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Alpkit Apogee Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 08 Feb 2018
Ben Meakin using the Apogee, 3 kbTough and toasty Primaloft Gold winter belay jacket for keeping warm when resting, at belay stances, and between those stints of being a hero.

Read more
 jonnie3430 08 Feb 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

This looks like a good replacement for my das parka, has anyone compared the two?

Thank goodness they went with the big mesh pockets inside, not a belay jacket in my mind without!

Guy Hurst 08 Feb 2018
In reply to jonnie3430:

It won't be anything like as warm as the DAS — more like the ME Fitzroy. The DAS has much more insulation.

leon 1 08 Feb 2018
In reply to jonnie3430:They are nicely designed jackets but as Jonnie says much more like a Fitzroy in warmth. I know its a belay jacket for when the sh#t hits the fan but I still dont like how shiny bin bag like the outer is .

Post edited at 12:40
More_Than_a_Plod 08 Feb 2018
In reply to leon 1:

I bought both myself and the missus one they are indeed very much like the ME Fitzroy. Both in style and warmth. I don't mind the shiny outer look. I've just finished a week in the snow in Glencoe. It was brilliant!!!.

The missus loves it so much she's taken to wearing it all the time.

For £160 it's got all the same features, same warmth. Big mesh pocket on the inside and you know if anything does occur Alpkit are almost legendary in their customer services dept.

jonnie3430 09 Feb 2018
In reply to jonnie3430:

I just looked to see the spec on the das and have found it discontinued, I imagine numbers sold have gone down since they got rid of the bright colours but it's a shame to see such a good bit of kit go.

Guy Hurst 09 Feb 2018
In reply to jonnie3430:

If you want something that warm then there are a few around in a similar vein to the DAS. Rab, Montane, Berghaus and quite a few others do heavy weight belay jackets. 

Matt Buchanan 14 Feb 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

I’ve got one of these and I think it’s great. Same warmth as a Fitzroy but lighter and packs down smaller. It’s a decent size to hang off your harness without being a pain in the arse. Great hood! The only issue I’ve had with it is that the Lycra inner cuff things are a faff over gloves. I just cut them out and it’s all good now. I have previously had a DAS but it was too big to carry on the harness. The Apogee is the ideal compromise of warmth/bulk. I would recommend it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...