UKC

Winter Walking Boots - B2.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jimbob11 11 Feb 2018

Struggling with a fit on a majority of B2 boots I’ve tried on. Currently wearing some La Sportiva Trango Cube GTX around the house, good fit and nice boot but weary of their warmth in the harshest of Scottish weather, whilst I don’t anticipate standing about on a belay in the Northern Corries for ages in them as I’d have my Freneys on for that, I’m still anxious about the odd stop or playing about with skills or even using them for grade 1 or 2 and being stuck behind slower parties. 

Anyone have some real time experience with them? Also any other options? Salewa and Scarpa are out on their respective models, 45 is too tight and 46 too baggy.. is kill for a .5. 

Much appreciated.  

James. 

olddirtydoggy 11 Feb 2018
In reply to Jimbob11:

Freneys aren't exactly a thermo insulator either so as long as you're moving I wouldn't worry. I often use a B1 for hiking the Scottish stuff with a C1 crampon and never have a problem. B3 for climbing and scrambling in winter. Only really a problem if you get stuck like this bloke>

https://www.facebook.com/cairngormmrt/posts/1829585127053218

OP Jimbob11 11 Feb 2018
In reply to olddirtydoggy: Ooof poor bugger that’s a grim few hours.

Thats the debatable issue, whilst I won’t be climbing steeper stuff in them, and hanging around on belays, I’ll still be using them primarily for winter stuff on less serious terrain and winter walking, however there’s always times of hanging about in those situations.

Maybe I’m being paranoid, but to use them for a day or two and realise they’re cold would be a waste of the hard earned. 

oldie 12 Feb 2018
In reply to Jimbob11:

North Face Verto S4K GORE-TEX Boots....B2, widish fit. Light. Have found them excellent (recommended by a shop that didn't stock them). However while I've been fine some people might find them cold, though the wide fit might help here.

OP Jimbob11 12 Feb 2018
In reply to oldie:

I need a narrow fit, hence the Trango.

Thanks,

James.

mik82 12 Feb 2018
In reply to Jimbob11:

Could you order some Scarpa boots from abroad? They produce 45.5s, but don't seem to stock them in the UK.

JohnO1978 12 Feb 2018
In reply to Jimbob11:

Ive just worn Trango Cubes for a whole week in Torridon last week, mainly just ridges and grade 1 ascents however no problems with them whatsoever, they were warm enough for that and very comfortable. 

OP Jimbob11 12 Feb 2018
In reply to JohnO1978:

Good to know! Looked good up there last week. 

goatee 12 Feb 2018
In reply to JohnO1978:

I have had Trango Cubes for a few years now. Ideal summer alpine boot but not warm enough for Scottish winter (for me anyway). A lovely light comfy boot but definitely not warm. Unless you run very hot

jezb1 12 Feb 2018
In reply to Jimbob11:

I have Trango Ice Cubes, mega boots and I don't know how they're so warm for the weight... Not as warm as something like Phantoms but pretty good. I'm happy wearing them for anything Scottish.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...