UKC

Petzl Vasak front point bending??!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hawb 12 Feb 2018

Recently purchased Petzl Vasaks to replace my ageing pair of G12's that I've been using for 3 years. 1st day out with them on Sunday climbing Central Gully on Lurchers crag and after topping out I notice that one of the front points has bent downwards completely! 

Has anyone else experience this with their crampons? I've contacted Petzl support already to hear back from them.

You can see pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/8wJgK

ColdWill 12 Feb 2018
In reply to Hawb:

These look like the replacement to the S12 and I’ve seen a bent pair before. It’s not uncommon, vertical front points can solve this until you stick them in a crack and twist.

top cat 13 Feb 2018
In reply to Hawb:

There have been a number of counterfeit petzl  crampons knocking about, are you sure they are the real thing?

In reply to ColdWill:

You've seen 'a pair' before so therefore it's not uncommon. Do you have any actual statistics, maybe a percentage of those made that have bent?

tradisrad 13 Feb 2018
In reply to Hawb:

Weird, I have had nothing bad to say about mine and they've put up with quite a lot of abuse. Certainly no bending! Sorry to hear about your predicament.

Mike-W-99 13 Feb 2018
In reply to Hawb:

A fake set of vasaks are used to illustrate an article on how to spot counterfeit Petzl products. Lyon are generally very good when it comes to customer service.

http://lyon.co.uk/workandrescue/lyon-work-and-rescue-news/269-information-r...

OP Hawb 13 Feb 2018
In reply to top cat:

I bought them from Decathlon, they're definitely not counterfeits.

I will try and return them as well as waiting for the reply from Petzl, but the store is 3 hours drive from where I live.

ColdWill 13 Feb 2018
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Obviously not, but I've heard of it and seen and so it so it is anecdotal. The fact that I have seen it and I don't climb that much indicates it does happen and is not uncommon.

The cause is most likely a really hard blow on a rock (obvious) or a problem with the temper of the steel in which case there will probably be a few more cases cropping up.

In reply to ColdWill:

"anecdotal", "probably". The fact you've seen it makes it not uncommon. 

I really love internet experts.

ColdWill 13 Feb 2018
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

wow, well as I have no data on the subject and probably no one else does either well have to leave it at that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...