UKC

Climbing Shoe Size Calculator!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Steven AT 13 Feb 2018
premier post photo

It's the perennial question we all ask; Will my new climbing shoes fit?

Good news: We've got the answer! 

www.alpinetrek.co.uk have used the power of big data to bring you the real deal - an experience driven Climbing Shoe Size Calculator.

Buying a new pair shoes and not sure which will be right for slab, alpine or overhangs, or even just the right shoe for your foot shape? No worries - we've got you covered. 

Our data from thousands of real climbers will provide the accurate answer for each model and each brand. 

Calculate your new shoes today: www.alpinetrek.co.uk/climbing-shoe-size-calculator

View Calculator...

thepodge 13 Feb 2018
In reply to Alpinetrek.co.uk:

> Our data from thousands of real climbers will provide the accurate answer for each model and each brand. 

Street shoe size 44

La sportiva Tarantula

Recommended = 42.9 / Actual = 44 (a bit baggy)

La sportiva Solutions

Recommended = 42.4 / Actual = 44 (cripplingly tight)

I know its only a rough guide despite saying its accurate but I cant imagine getting into a 42.5 Solution. 

Also thanks for telling me I have a Roman foot but what am I supposed to do with that info? You don't list it as an option. 

Post edited at 15:43
OP Steven AT 14 Feb 2018
In reply to thepodge:

> I know its only a rough guide despite saying its accurate but I cant imagine getting into a 42.5 Solution.

As you say - definitely a rough guide. That said, I wonder if it may be that your feet don't suit La Sportiva based on what you're finding - By way of example, I fit Tarantulas in 41.5 with a street size of 44.5, and take the same size in Solutions, Skwamas and Miuras. The Tarantula is a much less 'fitted' shoe which may explain why you can get away with it without too much issue whereas Solutions are crippling in the same size. 

In this situation it's really hard to offer more advice without seeing the shape of your foot etc but I wonder if you might not get a better fit from Five Ten as they tend to offer a touch more room? Although it really is academic without knowing the shape of your foot.   

Even within the same brands there is a significant variance in the volume of different models - by way of example the La Sportiva Solution is very much towards the narrow end of the Sportiva shoe range, whereas the Miura VS sits in the higher volume section meaning it is better suited to larger feet. 

> Also thanks for telling me I have a Roman foot but what am I supposed to do with that info? You don't list it as an option. 

Excellent point - definitely some information we can work more with. Foot shape is generally pretty indicative of what brand of shoe will offer a good fit so we could definitely incorporate this into a  feature that offers a recommended brand/model based on toe profile and width of foot. Cheers!

thepodge 14 Feb 2018

I think I'll still stay well clear of this accurate but rough guide and stick to trying stuff on in the shop. 

Bitten once by using an online guide, not eager to repeat that again. 

OP Steven AT 14 Feb 2018
In reply to thepodge:

I always advise a degree of caution when buying new shoes or new models - Many customers buying shoes from us will simply order a couple of sizes and return the ones that don't fit so well  

Complete accuracy can never be expected but our guide helps you get a good idea of the size you should consider and then can be used as a ballpark when ordering - bearing in mind the unique sizing of your feet. 

Best of luck getting a good fit! I still reckon Five Ten  

BusyLizzie 17 Feb 2018

Ok, while you're there - what brand would you recommend for my son who has really conspicuously wide feet and finds climbing shoes in general almost too uncomfortable to bear?

bouldery bits 17 Feb 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Five

Ten

Moccs

BusyLizzie 17 Feb 2018
In reply to bouldery bits:

Thank you!

bouldery bits 17 Feb 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

They're not naturally wide lasted, but they mould better than anything and don't have massive assymetry.

5.10 Anasazi VCS also worth a look, as are La Sportivas Tarantulas.

5.10 dragons are the best flipper footed steep shoe.

Best of luck!

BB (half man, half duck)

BusyLizzie 18 Feb 2018

Ah, that must be the explanation for my son's feet - he must be half duck. I hadn't noticed, bless him.

nufkin 18 Feb 2018

>  5.10 dragons are the best flipper footed steep shoe

I'd respectfully beg to differ - both teeny and slender to my mind.
I'd suggest the LS Otakis and Skwamas (though with the opposite problem in sizing - probably at least a full size down will be necessary, if not two)

bouldery bits 18 Feb 2018
In reply to nufkin:

I didn't get on with Skwamas at all. My big toe was in completely the wrong spot. 

Not tried Otakis.

3rd rock Sally 18 Feb 2018

I'll bare this in mind next time, at the moment I'm getting quite used to not feeling my big toes.  But then i do some really good climbing in them.

Post edited at 16:27
OP Steven AT 19 Feb 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> Ok, while you're there - what brand would you recommend for my son who has really conspicuously wide feet and finds climbing shoes in general almost too uncomfortable to bear?

Sure thing. Generally speaking 'comfy' climbing shoes are a hard nut to crack for wide feet but we can consider the following: 

Lowa Falco Lace - Lowa are renowned for having a wide fitting last across their shoes and this holds true in their climbing shoes as well. The Falco is ideal for mid-grade bouldering and route climbing with a decent rubber compound and enough pre-tensioning to stick small edges whilst staying comfy. 

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/lowa-falco-lacing-climbing-shoes/

La Sportiva Skwama - very soft, precise and comfortable. Excellent for bouldering and steep routes but will suffer on small edges due to the lack of pre-tensioning (although they get by!). 

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/la-sportiva-skwama-climbing-shoes/ 

La Sportiva Mythos - the Mythos are recognised pretty much worldwide as being super comfy shoes. The downside of this is that whilst they're stunning for crack climbing and easier routes, the lack of technicality makes them a poorer choice for harder climbing. 

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/la-sportiva-mythos-eco-climbing-shoes/ 

La Sportiva Finale - The Finale are a comfy, semi-technical shoe and sit almost at the top of Sportivas 'width range' chart. They're ideal for vertical routes, alpine climbing and mid-grade bouldering. 

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/la-sportiva-finale-climbing-shoes/ 

Hope this helps! 

Post edited at 07:38
 BusyLizzie 20 Feb 2018

Thank you very much!

OP Steven AT 02 Mar 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

No problem. If you need more advice drop us a call on 03 33 33 67058 and we'll get you sorted! 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...