UKC

Shoulder brace/strap for recurrent dislocation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mcdweeb 15 Feb 2018

I think this is a common enough problem among skiers but can anyone who skis recommend me a shoulder brace which works to prevent my shoulder dislocating when I fall?

Its a recurrent problem of 30+ years despite an operation to fix it.

Ideally, the brace/strap thingy would work , be effective and be comfortable enough to use ski touring so neoprene is probably out.

Anyone’s experience with this problem is welcome, please share!

stuartf 15 Feb 2018
In reply to mcdweeb:

Another operation? Depending on what you had the first time! I had a problem with recurrent shoulder dislocation. They did a soft tissue repair operation which didn't really work, so a couple of years ago I had a bony repair where they took a bit off my pelvis and screwed it in to the front of my shoulder to make the socket deeper. It's worked for me, but obviously would depend on what's actually wrong with your shoulder!

OP mcdweeb 16 Feb 2018
In reply to stuartf: Its in the pipeline for later in the year but I was hoping I could ski less painfully this season until then.

stuartf 16 Feb 2018
In reply to mcdweeb:

Hope you find something that works then, and good luck with the op. Make sure you do plenty of physio afterwards! I got great aftercare which went way beyond the "it's ok for everyday life" point and properly got it strong again for climbing etc. It took quite a while to recover, but was definitely worth it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...