UKC

Remote canister gas stoves - Alpkit any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 16 Feb 2018

I'm in the market for a remote canister gas stove for cold weather expeds etc and have been leaning towards the Alpkit Koro https://www.alpkit.com/products/koro

I was wondering if anyone here had one and what their experience had been with it? I've heard of problems with other Alpkit stoves and wondered if this suffered in the same way? 

Main other option is probably the Kovea Spider which is slightly more expensive and heavier. 

Any advice from people who've used these types of stoves is welcome but I don't want a system that integrates the pan. 

Cheers

In reply to Removed UserRockarch:

hi

i have the koro. had it for over a year and enjoy using it. not had any problems with regular use and i have had it running flat out for well over an hour once and it never missed a beat. 

its bigger and heavier than the screw on top type burners but its definitely worth it for the stability and the broader head.

having said that i do take good care of it as it looks more delicate than the top mounted burners. i store it inside a pot when its in my pack, i imagine it would be easy to squash if you weren't careful. 

John1458 16 Feb 2018

I bought it 2 and a half years ago as part of a bundle with their alipots and windshield as my first gas canister stove. I've used it a fair amount since owning it and I've not had any issues at all. It's always been stored nested inside the smallest alipot in its pouch. Its been great for cooking a wide variety of meals with a wide range of different gas cannisters. Admittedly I've not owned any other stoves to compare it against. 

I've had issues with Alpkits Carbon Fibre walking poles and Alien Evolution cams that I bought from them in the past and their customer service has been excellent throughout, so If you were to have an issue I have no doubt they'd do everything they can to help you out. 

Removed User 16 Feb 2018
In reply to John1458:

Thanks -good to know it has worked for you so far. 

Can I ask what conditions you've used it in? I want something that is bombproof in -20c and below and will melt snow for hours. 

Cheers

TheAtrociousSnowman 16 Feb 2018

I bought one when it first came out and used it on the Cape Wrath Trail. It leaked where the hose goes into the base, enough so that you could light a little flame there. I've scrolled down and seen that someone else had the same problem in the review section. When I got back I just binned it but otherwise it was ok; the pan supports are quite loose btw. I have one of their canister tops and take that as a spare because it is so light and cheap but for a remote type I use an optimus vega.

I have used a kovea spider and that is a good stove as well; the primus spider has quite a gap in the middle of the pot supports I think.

Alpkit have good customer service but besides the stove, I have had one of their head torches fail, so I stopped using them for 'essential' stuff.

Post edited at 18:32
 John1458 16 Feb 2018

I've not used it in anywhere near as extreme conditions, or for longer than an hour and a half. It's been used for a few summer alpine bivi's and mostly on club trips and other climbing trips as a campsite stove, for cooking meals in evenings. 

Post edited at 18:47
Removed User 16 Feb 2018
In reply to TheAtrociousSnowman:

Thanks. As the Kovea Spider is the same price and more tried and tested, I think I'll go with that one. 

thlcr1 17 Feb 2018

I've been using one regularly for a year now. Been great, can't fault it at all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...