UKC

"New" bothy in the Cairngorms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan Breck 17 Feb 2018

Not too sure if this has been mentioned before but it's certainly new to me. On a culture visit to the Lighthouse in Glasgow I came upon:  https://www.dezeen.com/2017/06/23/moxon-architects-culardoch-shieling-humbl...

I really like it BUT I'm not sure if I approve. It certainly looks good and doesn't appear to make a mockery of the surroundings. I could however suffer from just a bit of green cheese in that I don't have an estate & can't afford to build a bothy of my own. Maybe it's because it's not open to thee and me.

Does the world need another nice bit of accommodation for those and such as those or should we just be happy that the "secret howff" still stands for those who wander?

doz 17 Feb 2018
In reply to Alan Breck:

you have a right to disapprove - plenty people would like a nice wee wooden house in the wilds but I don't see them getting planning approval - if it were an open bothy might feel differently

As for the design - bit frickin pretentious if you ask me

wintertree 17 Feb 2018
In reply to Alan Breck:

Windows are a bit foofy.  

“Untreated Larch” - it’s going to decay unevenly to an eventual brown/black all over.  I don’t think that’ll look very nice.  (I work in an untreated Larch building.  The uniform wood-looking surface finish seen in your link lasted for about 2 months...)

I pogo wildly between wanting large scale public access to little huts in the hills, and common sense telling me that would make the hills a place I wouldn’t want to go.  Difficult.

Removed User 17 Feb 2018
In reply to Alan Breck:

Reckon it'll be razed to the ground pretty quick with all those candles burning......

DerwentDiluted 18 Feb 2018
In reply to Alan Breck:

"Directly informed by the simplistic aesthetic of livestock holdings and Scottish farming crofts"

What ultimate nobjockery is that? I bet the crofters of old scratching a living from oats, potatoes, herring and a Cow in the byre slept well on their bracken knowing their hardships would inspire some pseudo rustic hut where people could light a load of candles and have gatherings. And a 'specific view', what is a specific view? is it as I suspect, arso-linguistic embellishment of 'the' view? That happend to be a nice one? How can a view be specific? It's obtained by lookin out the frickin window.

pasbury 18 Feb 2018
In reply to Alan Breck:

I can just about stomach a new Shieling if it’s required by an estate (though hard find to any justification even for that) but the pseuds corner type bullshit in that piece makes me want to make a special journey to burn it down.

petenebo 18 Feb 2018
In reply to pasbury:

It's a date!

Removed User 18 Feb 2018
In reply to Alan Breck:

I think it looks really nice and sits well in the landscape. Provided the landowners do not restrict my access to the hills, which they don't because we have legislation to prevent it, I have no problems with this sort of landownership.

If you do then please suggest a realistic alternative, emphasis on realistic. I'd be happy to hear of realistic alternatives for wild land use but in decades of listening to this stuff I've yet to hear of one.

OMR 18 Feb 2018
In reply to Alan Breck:

Ach, don't fret. Us plebs will be getting our own new bothy in the Cairngorms in the next couple of years. MBA has been offered and accepted the chance to renovate the Red House on the Geldie, about 2k from where it joins the Dee. Windows'll be a size you can see out of too.

BnB 18 Feb 2018
In reply to wintertree:

> Windows are a bit foofy.  

> “Untreated Larch” - it’s going to decay unevenly to an eventual brown/black all over.  I don’t think that’ll look very nice.  (I work in an untreated Larch building.  The uniform wood-looking surface finish seen in your link lasted for about 2 months...)

Untreated larch is a popular cladding and decking material on Skye, where it fades to a silvery taupe. Certainly not brown/black. Norway is the favoured source. Perhaps yours is Russian and designed to destabilise our architectural aesthetic.

Tyler 18 Feb 2018
In reply to Alan Breck:

I think it looks great and would love it if it were mine but I fundamentally disagree with it being built. These sort of places are protected for a reason and that includes being protected from their owners as well.

wintertree 18 Feb 2018
In reply to BnB:

> Untreated larch is a popular cladding and decking material on Skye, where it fades to a silvery taupe. Certainly not brown/black. Norway is the favoured source. Perhaps yours is Russian and designed to destabilise our architectural aesthetic.

I could beleive it fades differently in a city compared to Skye.  Certainly ours has a silvery phase but it doesn’t last...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...