UKC

Wideish shoes (like 5.10 Spire / Anasazi Guide)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MatthewV 18 Feb 2018

Hi,

I have quite wide flat feet; what shoes are likely to fit me? I used to be very happy with the 5.10 Spire, then they discontinued them. The 5.10 Anasazi Guide were reasonable (but less good), but now they've discontinued them too. Any suggestions of what I should try next? I want a shoe that's comfy enough for day-long climbs. I live in Cambridge, where the shops seem to have only a few different shoes to try...

Martin Bennett 18 Feb 2018
In reply to MatthewV:

I too liked Five Ten Spire and currently using Anasazi Guides. In between I had several Five Ten Newtons - very very similar to Anasazi Guide but also no longer available, though I have pairs with much life left in them.

Surprisingly the most comfy shoe I've had since is La Sportiva Tarantula - a sort of de-tuned Katana from what I can see, and definitely wider.

What size are you? I should really sell off some shoes.

OP MatthewV 18 Feb 2018
In reply to Martin Bennett:

I take 10s in normal shoes; I found 10.5 in the Guides just a bit on the small side.

full stottie 18 Feb 2018
In reply to MatthewV:

I too have broad feet, and have found that the shoe last used by Scarpa has been the most comfortable over the years- I'm currently using the Force V and have had previous pairs of Velocity V. I also tried the Vapour V but although the width was OK the technical profile made it too uncomfortable for me on longer days. I climb modest grades but also longer multi-pitch days which the Scarpa has proved very good for.

Hope this helps

Dave

neuromancer 18 Feb 2018
In reply to MatthewV:

I concur that the only shoes really made for a broad forefoot profile are Scarpa.

The widest, frustratingly are their softer bouldering shoes. The "all-day" ones seem to come on a much narrower last - e.g. Techno X's.

However, I tried on the new Maestro's in street, +/- 0.5 sizes and they were a good compromise.

FWIW i usually wear Stix or Instincts in Street -3

Martin Bennett 18 Feb 2018
In reply to MatthewV:

> I take 10s in normal shoes; I found 10.5 in the Guides just a bit on the small side.

Ah. Mine would be too small then - most of the one's I'm thinking of off loading are around a "true" 9 though labelled from 8 to 10.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...