UKC

Looking for a climbing partner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Goran Glumac 19 Feb 2018

Hi everybody!

I moved to the UK in September 2017 from Croatia. Back there I was climbing regularly and mostly multi-pitch routes. Since I moved to the UK (I live in Fulham, London) I am mostly spending my climbing hours indoor bouldering which is not fun for me, but serves only as a training ground for real climbing outdoors. There I tried to find some people for climbing outdoors but it seems that most of them either never go out or go out for bouldering which is not so interesting to me. 

I am looking for some people who are willing to take me with them on a trip when they go climbing (preferred multipitch routes but anything will do) and possibly connecting with them in order to have somebody to climb with in the future.

In the UK I only went to climb once with my wife (she is not so much into climbing) and we went to Avon Gorge. Because she climbs up to 5a (French grade) as second our choice was limited. So I hope by now you understand my desire to find somebody who can climb something a bit more serious.

I have experience in multipitch sport routes, multipitch trad routes on limestone and some big wall trad routes. I do not have a problem with climbing in lead so I won't just be tagging along to somebody. From my logbook you can see the grades I am comfortable with (up to 6a onsight in lead).

Also I have experience in mountaineering in winter conditions (mostly couloirs and ridges in Slovenia), and climbing ice.

I would very much like to explore anything that UK has to offer from trad single and multipitch to mixed climbing in Scotland but also scrambling long ridges. Also I would be very much interested in climbing trips outside the UK.

From the equipment I have almost everything for trad, missing some friends and hexes but will obtain that soon and as for winter climbing I have to get some more ice screws, otherwise I am ready to go.

I know that climbing is a very serious activity and that a new person is always a risk to climb with, so I would like to say that I take this seriously, and for the things I am prepared to do I know what I am doing. 

So If anybody has a free spot in their car and are willing to take a stranger with them on a climbing trip please send me a message and I would be happy to join you. Also if there are 2 spots I can go with my wife as well but only if there are some beginner routes there so that she can also climb.

Hope to hear from you guys.

Goran

GrahamD 19 Feb 2018
In reply to Goran Glumac:

Have you looked for local climbing clubs ? might be a good starting point.  There are quite a few in London, although the LMC is the only one I've personally had experience with and I know they are pretty active.

Šljiva 19 Feb 2018
In reply to Goran Glumac: Ici cemo vani za penjanje kad ce vrijeme biti bolje. Živim u blizini tebe. pošaljete mi poruku. 

Post edited at 22:48
 Peter Durin 27 Feb 2018

Hey Goran,

My name is Peter, originally from Slovakia, but spend 10 years in London so know exactly how difficult it can be to go out climbing. I live in Bristol now much easier to go climbing here. Anyway, I also struggle with climbing partners especially for winter or mountain trips. I am can lead up to E2 trad, 6c-7a sport (after few days on the rock), WI4-WI5 ice, M5 mixed or scottish V.

Have all gear for trad and winter, and a car as well. 

If you have some time off and would be heading to Bristol, give me a shout and we can try to do some climbing. I am not always around as I work away half of the time, so better give me a shout or text me on 07865524575.

Peter

Slarti B 27 Feb 2018

Goran, As someone else suggested, look for local clubs.  You say you are based in Fulham, do you work in central London?
Brixton Climbers is a very welcoming and informal club.  Based more in South East London but we have members in South West (and even North! ) London.   If you can't find any more local clubs why don't you come along to our next meeting to say hello. First Wednesday of the month at Effra social in Brixton. 
Join our Facebook group for info  https://www.facebook.com/groups/brixtonclimbers/

danD 01 Mar 2018

I would recommend London mountaineering club. We have trips every other weekend or so, mostly trad. Plenty of people to climb with. Have a look on the website (or contact me if you like) about joining.

Dan 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...