UKC

Best material for a quick trouser repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pay Attention 20 Feb 2018

Today was an awkward roped descent, instead of an abseil.  The crampons are sharp enough for ice but too sharp for my trousers. Inside leg just above the ankle bone now has ribbons but no medal.

im wondering what's the Best material for a quick trouser repair.

it would be great to patch with leather like my former geography teacher did with his jacket elbows but it's not available. What's tough and waterproof and can be  glued / sewed to salopettes?

Tough is the main quality I'm looking for.

GridNorth 20 Feb 2018
In reply to Pay Attention:

Tenacious Tape

Al

James Jackson 20 Feb 2018

All the cool cats patch up their crampon-induced rips with gaffa tape.

d_b 20 Feb 2018

Gaffa tape for field repairs, tenacious tape or goretex patches when I get home.

nniff 20 Feb 2018

Sew the edges together.  Tenacious Tape on one side.  Apply Seamgrip to the wound.  Apply more tenacious tape over that.  If not in a high wear area, just Tenacious Tape will do

BruceM 20 Feb 2018

Tape the inside of the tear together temporarily with paper masking tape or something removable.

Smear a layer of seam sealer over the outside of the tear generously overlapping the join.  Leave undisturbed on flat surface.

Wait a day and remove tape to leave rugged outer fix.

Betrafol tape is by far and away the best repair tape I’ve used. Way more durable than tenacious tape and way cheaper too. You buy it from Ebay.

Duct tape is nothing more than a quick fix.

OP Pay Attention 20 Feb 2018

Thanks all, for your speedy and helpful advice.  It's much appreciated.

I'd never heard of Tenacious Tape until now.  I will have to get some in when I get back to UK. 

d_b 20 Feb 2018

Remember that whatever you use you should round off the corners.  Practically anything will catch and peel if it has a sharp corner on it.

Sharp 21 Feb 2018
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Remember that whatever you use you should round off the corners.  Practically anything will catch and peel if it has a sharp corner on it.

Second that, also you want to heat it a little, especially if your waterproofs are dwp and/or not a shiny finish.

Tenacious tape is nice and it works but a good brand of duct tape is just as strong and neat if you cut it nicely. Gorrilla tape is the strongest I've used but you need to iron it or use a heat gun to get the best results and it is slightly stiffer than tenacious tape when it's cured. You'll never get it off though. The american branded duct tape is good as well, duck brand is too thin.

Fredt 21 Feb 2018
In reply to BruceM:

> Tape the inside of the tear together temporarily with paper masking tape or something removable.

> Smear a layer of seam sealer over the outside of the tear generously overlapping the join.  Leave undisturbed on flat surface.

> Wait a day and remove tape to leave rugged outer fix.

I’ve always done it the other way round, masking tape or sellotape on the outside, seam sealer on the inside.

The repair is then almost invisible on the outside.

P Gard 21 Feb 2018
 Misha 21 Feb 2018

I use gaffer tape superglued on the inside (use flexible superglue) and seamgrip on the outside. Works well for smaller rips anyway. 

tehmarks 21 Feb 2018

Tenacious Tape works well, and if you're both fashion-conscious with brightly-coloured trousers, it's clear and leaves a near invisible repair.

drsdave 21 Feb 2018

I’ve just shredded my inside gaitor badly. So duct tape sealed down with tent sealant from gooutdoors. Left to cure should do the trick until I spike them again, note to self don’t spike your bloody legs that high up

iksander 22 Feb 2018

Kevlar sail repair tape is hard to beat for durability

keith hal 26 Feb 2018

Spinnaker tape is pretty good stuff. (Ripstop nylon)Used for fixing sails so you can get it from a yachting chandlers. I got some on ebay...various colours too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...