UKC

Don't walk on the wall at Almscliff!!!!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

To the people who where walking on the wall at Almscliff today on their way to the crag please go to specsavers so you can read the signs which clearly say not to!!!

I believe it was the farmer himself who shouted at you to get down....

Idiots.

Yes it's muddy as hell on the approach but invest in some wellies and you'll survive!!

Post edited at 23:03
baron 20 Feb 2018
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

I must be getting old, I can honestly say I've never walked on top of a dry stone wall, I've never seen anybody do it and never heard anybody say they've done it.

Still, what could go wrong?

Lusk 20 Feb 2018
In reply to baron:

Have you seen the price of approach shoes these days?

I'll be damned if I'm going to get them dirty walking a hundred yards.

Removed User 20 Feb 2018
In reply to baron:

Access.

baron 20 Feb 2018
In reply to Lusk:

Jeez, it's that far to walk and muddy as well!

Timmd 20 Feb 2018

I guess it's worth bumping this by saying how thoughtless a thing it is to do. It can take ages to rebuild dry stone walls to be sturdy enough to be cow proof. 

The farmer was right to shout.

Post edited at 00:05
Lusk 21 Feb 2018
In reply to baron:

I've started a crowd funding page for the farmer to install a chair lift from the road to crag.
I hope everyone will chip in, dirty footwear in car footwells is becoming a serious problem and needs stamping out now.

Andy Hardy 21 Feb 2018
In reply to Lusk:

I think a massive catapult would be better than a chair lift, cheaper to install, £0 / carbon free running costs and much shorter transit times.

thepodge 21 Feb 2018

I know they shouldn't have to but can't the farmer stick it roll of barbed wire along the top of the wall to stop this if it's a reoccurring problem 

FactorXXX 21 Feb 2018
In reply to thepodge:

> I know they shouldn't have to but can't the farmer stick it roll of barbed wire along the top of the wall to stop this if it's a reoccurring problem 

It would look shit and why should the farmer pay for it?

ian caton 21 Feb 2018
In reply to thepodge:

A single strand would.probably do it

Cheap.amd simple. Climbers could.paynfor that, no?

In reply to ian caton:

> A single strand would.probably do it

>  Cheap.amd simple. Climbers could.paynfor that, no?

It could work but who's going to sort it out?

spidermonkey09 21 Feb 2018

For f*cks sake! Who are these morons? 

J1234 21 Feb 2018
In reply to ian caton:

> A single sign would.probably do it

>  Cheap.amd simple. Climbers could.paynfor that, no?

There, fixed that for you.

J1234 21 Feb 2018
In reply to spidermonkey09:

> For f*cks sake! Who are these morons? 

Personally I would take photos and put their pictures on UKC and at the climbing wall, it actions like this that got us banned from Whitehouse. Its that simple.

Deadeye 21 Feb 2018

Did you speak to them at the time?  

Before I get flamed, I totally agree they are idiots.

In reply to J1234:

People HAVE to say something at the time; its worth being sworn at to know you did all you could. After the fact posting on forums is the easy way out; its a nice bonus to raise awareness but we simply have to tackle this at source.

Doghouse 21 Feb 2018
In reply to J1234:

> Personally I would take photos and put their pictures on UKC and at the climbing wall, it actions like this that got us banned from Whitehouse. Its that simple.

This ^ name and shame the f*cking idiots!

thepodge 21 Feb 2018

Idiots who walk on walls aren't going to be bothered by signs or being named and shamed. They have already proved they don't have a problem with shunning normal social behaviour and that their own self importance comes above anything.

Funny how the two people suggesting a financial solution to the problem get down voted. 

Post edited at 09:25
 FactorXXX 21 Feb 2018
In reply to thepodge:

> Funny how the two people suggesting a financial solution to the problem get down voted. 

I think it's the addition of unneeded barbed wire that is the main reason for the Dislikes.
Expecting the farmer to pay for it is just rubbing salt into the wound...

Post edited at 09:35
 thepodge 21 Feb 2018
In reply to FactorXXX:

I'll bloody pay for it if it means I get to access the place for years to come. Its only about 20 quid for 50m

I do get that they shouldn't have to... that was the first thing I said.

Post edited at 09:47
 JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 21 Feb 2018
In reply to thepodge:

Would stepping stones be an acceptable solution?

sxrxg 21 Feb 2018
In reply to JamieSparkes:

Surely the solution is just to wear appropriate footwear. If you are going Bouldering outside surely you have some idea that the walk in might be muddy in the middle of winter? 

At Almscliff if you have forgotten your boots you can always avoid the worst of the mud by walking back down the road to the farm and then up the footpath that brings you to the crag by Pattas arete. 

galpinos 21 Feb 2018

It's a bit of mud. It obviously comes as a surprise to some but walking to a crag that's in the middle of a cow field in winter might be a little muddy.

Stick on your wellies (any keen boulderer will have a pair for winter grit season anywayprobaly whatever the decathalon vesion is this winter, eg https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-50-warm-mens-snow-boots-black-id_834430...) and off you go.

Ramblin dave 21 Feb 2018
In reply to sxrxg:

> Surely the solution is just to wear appropriate footwear. If you are going Bouldering outside surely you have some idea that the walk in might be muddy in the middle of winter? 

You would have thought so, but apparently some people don't.

Offwidth 21 Feb 2018
In reply to sxrxg:

I'm not sure advising climbers to approach via the farm footpath is such a good idea. Access points are often the way they are based on talking to the local farmer.

MarkM 21 Feb 2018

To slightly lighten the mood can I just point out this thread title juxtaposition (that I've probably just ruined)?

Don't walk on the wall at Almscliff!!!!!!!

Death penalty

Is circumcision already illegal?

Post edited at 10:27
 Jono.r23 21 Feb 2018
In reply to MarkM:

Haha Death Penalty or Circumcision for wall walkers.. choose one 

JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 21 Feb 2018
In reply to sxrxg:

Well clearly this is the conscientious option, but as a general rule, working to the lowest common denominator is easiest from a social engineering standpoint - as there are always people who don't think about their impact in this way, then if we are looking at interventions, why not make them so that the least effort option is also the one that angers the fewest people?

Jon Greengrass 21 Feb 2018

a paved path and a proper carpark with a pay and display machine?

FactorXXX 21 Feb 2018

> Well clearly this is the conscientious option, but as a general rule, working to the lowest common denominator is easiest from a social engineering standpoint - as there are always people who don't think about their impact in this way, then if we are looking at interventions, why not make them so that the least effort option is also the one that angers the fewest people?

Otherwise known as catering to the feckless.

In reply to Deadeye:

Didn't speak to them. I was halfway up something and heard shouting, turned around the the farmer was telling out of his tractor at 2 people on the wall.

afx22 21 Feb 2018

Is it feasible to have a limestone path laid down - say 2m wide? 

I appreciate that would cost money and would need maintaining...  

Simon Caldwell 21 Feb 2018
In reply to afx22:

As I suggested to the local BMC facebook page, why not start some crowdfunding to create a paved path and/or put some pointy rocks on top of the wall? The number of climbers who go there you'd hope that we could raise enough money quite quickly.

Ramblin dave 21 Feb 2018
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Otherwise known as catering to the feckless.

What do you propose doing then?

XXXX 21 Feb 2018

Why don't the BMC build a bridge over the mud?

Iain(2010) 21 Feb 2018
In reply to afx22:

Or get hold of some stone locally and set it into the ground to provide a hard surface, the farmer may know of some knocking about and even help to transport it to site (if he was asked nicely).

Post edited at 13:38
baron 21 Feb 2018
In reply to Iain(2010):

If the farmer takes his cue from the farmer at Whitehouses there'll be plenty of loose stones, suitable for a path, lying around the crag !

galpinos 21 Feb 2018
In reply to Iain(2010):

Are we really discussing building a path on private land to a private crag because a few people don't want to wear wellies to the crag?

baron 21 Feb 2018
In reply to galpinos:

I believe there was a sort of similar discussion on this very forum back in 2000.

Ramblin dave 21 Feb 2018
In reply to galpinos:

> Are we really discussing building a path on private land to a private crag because a few people don't want to wear wellies to the crag?

What's your alternative?

galpinos 21 Feb 2018
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Explain to people that the outdoors is sometimes muddy and maybe spending a tenner on a pair of wellies is money well spent?

There's a lot we need to do to educate on what is and isn't acceptable, as per the various UKC and UKB threads.

nniff 21 Feb 2018

> What's your alternative?

I thought that that was neatly covered above - death or circumcision.  

Self-police and get people to engage their brains before climbing at these locations outside. Education and public calling out of these people is the answer, not building a path to cater for the lowest common denominator!

At the weekend I and the group I was with observed four people walking on the wall. Shouting 'Oi!' loudly from beneath The Keel/The Virgin resulted in the person getting off the wall three times out of four. According to a friend walking nearby they were absolutely mortified- and rightly so. Hopefully thats a lesson learned and they won't do it again; progress.

Post edited at 15:44
 scoobydougan 21 Feb 2018

"Absolutely mortified " Its hard to believe that anyone could think walking on top of a dry stone wall was acceptable until till told otherwise!  

In reply to scoobydougan:

Tell me about it- I can barely believe it either! But someone I know and like did it recently and she had no idea. Rest assured she does now!

I suspect quite a lot of the time there's no malice in it, its just symptomatic of a lack of 'countryside savvy' among the general populace. Its second nature to me having grown up in the country but I guess its plausible that if you'd grown up in a city/town, only got into climbing at uni or even later, that these things wouldn't be as obvious as they are to many others.

Hence why education is so crucial, both for climbers and non-climbers (3 of 4 people I saw walking on the wall at the weekend were non-climbers). For what its worth I think the general public are a bigger threat to Almscliff access than climbers themselves, mostly because theres so many more of them, plenty of whom come utterly unequipped for conditions from urban areas.

Post edited at 16:45
 Ramblin dave 21 Feb 2018

Ah, fair enough. Do you think that that's not happening enough already and that there's more that people could do to improve the situation? I'm only seeing this from a distance without knowing the details, and I'd got the (possibly mistaken) impression that by the time the pillocks all got educated then it might be too late...

Naomi Buys 21 Feb 2018

I reckon it's entirely feasible for respectful, non-numpty climbers to NOT REALISE that walking on a wall is a 'no go'. It's not necessarily that obvious when the wall appears really sturdy, and the alternative is churning up a farmer's field by trekking through a mudbath. 

I'm not saying it's right or ok, just that it's not as obvious as some people seem to think on here. Education is key - a polite sign asking climbers, and walkers too of course, to keep off the wall would surely make a big difference. If folk are committing these crimes without even knowing there is an issue, that is fixable with forums like this and appropriate signs at the crag and maybe also through some bmc crag etiquette campaigns? 

In my personal opinion, I think two things would make a massive difference.

1) Signs to make it crystal clear. This is something the BMC have taken steps towards doing already and I and my friend put some temporary ones up at the weekend. This at least means that those who can read and are less savvy are aware of the issue. Good progress on this front.

2) Most crucially- speaking up in the climbing community and challenging those doing wrong. Climbing is a pretty insular sport, and climbers don't tend to like confrontation in my experience. A lot are very reserved, quiet and actually quite shy/awkward in social situations, before we even get to confrontation. But if we just sit back then we will lose access; I think its really important to try and look past the personal discomfort to have a word with someone for the greater good. It gives other people observing the courage and impetus to do it next time as well. I'm lucky because I don't mind shouting at people for being spanners(!) but am well aware there are plenty who find it hard.

In reply to Naomi Buys:

Totally agree Naomi - there are now some temporary signs up to that effect and hopefully some more permanent, 'official' looking BMC ones in the pipeline. The upsetting thing is that the signs have been up since Saturday morning and it didn't stop some people!

Naomi Buys 21 Feb 2018

That's sad news. 

The people who don't know: not necessarily numpties, let's give them a chance to repent...

The people who do know but walk on the wall anyway: total idiots!! 

scoobydougan 21 Feb 2018
In reply to Naomi Buys:

Would you be so charitable if they were using Pof or chipping holds because they didn't know any better? 

string arms 21 Feb 2018

What grade is the dry stone wall?

Naomi Buys 21 Feb 2018

> Would you be so charitable if they were using Pof or chipping holds because they didn't know any better? 

Good point. But using pof and chipping holds have long been included in various lists of 'dont's', such as on bags of moon chalk, online articles and bmc handouts. There is a fair degree of saturation for those examples and that has proven effective. Walking on walls could be included on lists like these, hopefully with similar success? 

scoobydougan 21 Feb 2018
In reply to Naomi Buys:

Your probably right it's just coming from a village in the countryside it seems obvious but like you say not everyone has the same background 

In reply to string arms:

7A+ in wellies, 4 in approach shoes.

Although dodging the farmers bullets give you a + grade

ian caton 22 Feb 2018

Perhaps signs need to include other stuff such as:

Don't park in the field

Don't cut trees downD

Don't paint the rock (I kid you not)

Any I have missed?

Tomtom 22 Feb 2018

Was this Sunday? If so I was in the group by the virgin. One of the people in the group ahead of the wall walkers was saying that the wall walkers read the bloody sign out loud, and did it anyway!

not knowing isn't an excuse, that's just being an arsehole. 

spidermonkey09 22 Feb 2018
In reply to Tomtom:

Think how stupid the average person is, then think that 50% of people are stupider than that!

Yeah this was Sunday. I agree, never going to stop some selfish morons but I (optimistically?) think they're in a minority, in the climbing community anyway.

Post edited at 08:43
 Root1 22 Feb 2018

This is why god invented wellies.

thepodge 22 Feb 2018
In reply to Root1:

> This is why god invented wellies.

To throw at their heads and knock them off the wall? 

afx22 22 Feb 2018
In reply to galpinos:

Yes.

Getting the message out there and challenging anyone that does walk on the wall is all good.

The mail root cause is that it's a damn muddy field through winter.  Installing a path would stop anyone even contemplating walking along the wall.

It would also narrow the damage to the field - the churned up sections, due to footfall, must venture a good 10m from the wall in places.

J1234 22 Feb 2018
In reply to afx22:

> Yes.

> [....]

> It would also narrow the damage to the field - the churned up sections, due to footfall, must venture a good 10m from the wall in places.

The issue here is I suspect that there is only a footpath. There is no right to venture 10m from the wall. There is no right to climb, only the Farmers good will. A pair of wellies are £9.99.

All it takes is some divvy on that wall, and that Farmer in a bad mood, and no climbing at Almscliffe. Unless someone knows something I do not.

Simon Caldwell 22 Feb 2018
In reply to J1234:

Since it's clear that a significant minority continue to walk on the wall, and that many (perhaps) most of the culprits aren't even climbers sop have nothing to lose, then why don't we put our hands in our pockets and finance a solution? Some maintenance on the wall-side footpath would be good, but most effective would be putting something on top of the wall to remove it as an option.

J1234 22 Feb 2018
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

The wall looks good without any apendages. The Farmer does have a problem in that the path is a ROW, which he is stuck with, and will get churned up. Therefore some kind of BMC/Ramblers working party, with materials funded by the aforesaid could maybe help solve the the problem the Farmer does have. This is where the BMC is worthwhile IMO.

Simon Caldwell 22 Feb 2018
In reply to J1234:

I don't even like Almscliff and I'd happily chip in a fiver if the BMC asks

deepsoup 22 Feb 2018

I'd be happy to chuck a few quid into a crowd funding campaign, no doubt plenty more would too.

timjones 22 Feb 2018
In reply to afx22:

> Yes.

> Getting the message out there and challenging anyone that does walk on the wall is all good.

> The mail root cause is that it's a damn muddy field through winter.  Installing a path would stop anyone even contemplating walking along the wall.

> It would also narrow the damage to the field - the churned up sections, due to footfall, must venture a good 10m from the wall in places.

The problem is that whilst it might "narrow the damage" when it is wet it would also stop it growing grass for livestock to eat for the whole year.

Are climbers really naive enough to believe that this is a good idea?

Dave the Rave 22 Feb 2018

> Would stepping stones be an acceptable solution?

Yup. Just pull the top stones off the wall, chuck them in the muddy bits and hop along dry shod.

Iain(2010) 22 Feb 2018
In reply to galpinos:

>Are we really discussing building a path on private land to a private crag because a few people don't want to wear wellies to the crag?

Yes. Because its a high traffic path. There are lots of non-climbers who go to the crag as it is an attractive landscape feature with great views. 

When you get high traffic then a muddy path just widens and widens as people try to stay clean and walk further away from the path.

The other problem is that because the path is so well trodden the soil becomes very compacted and water stays in the surface layers of the soil and doesn't drain particularly well, this then keeps the areas waterlogged and muddy for longer. 

If you've walked the track you'll notice the large amount of mud at the roadside end, it's extremely muddy. This is in part due to soil being washed off the surface of the path from further up the hill, as a result of the surface water after high rainfall being unable to percolate into the soil when it then runs off over the surface.

The situation isn't good for the farmer, it's not good for climbers and other site visitors. It's not a case of 'man up' and wear wellies as its the compacting nature of lots of feet that is a significant contributory factor here - just build a path.

Post edited at 20:37
 Simon Caldwell 23 Feb 2018
In reply to timjones:

Well what alternative would you suggest? Telling people on the internet to wear wellies clearly won't work, and even if every single climber acted responsibly, we are normally outnumbered there by non-climbers.

timjones 23 Feb 2018

> Well what alternative would you suggest? Telling people on the internet to wear wellies clearly won't work, and even if every single climber acted responsibly, we are normally outnumbered there by non-climbers.

If we get to the point where farmers are forced to accept a loss of valuable grazing because climbers and walkers are incapable of walking on the ground rather than along the top of a wall then we are going to continue to face some serious access issues.

It's very simple, don't walk on the fecking wall!

In reply to timjones:

Clearly it's not that simple, as people continue to walk on the wall.

timjones 23 Feb 2018

> Clearly it's not that simple, as people continue to walk on the wall.

So do you have a better answer than stoning over useful farmland?

Siward 23 Feb 2018
In reply to timjones:

Churned up mud from heavy foot traffic is surely not 'useful farmland'?

d_b 23 Feb 2018
In reply to timjones:

How about mesh?  Grass grows through it, feet don't erode the ground.

In reply to timjones:

> So do you have a better answer than stoning over useful farmland?

Earlier in the thread I suggested putting some pointy stones on the wall to make it hard to walk on.

Or you could probably just put some "stepping stones" at the bottom of the field, it's usually only the section next to the stile that's a quagmire, the rest is normally better. And looks it even when it isn't, so by the time people find out that it's boggy there as well, it's no longer convenient just to hop onto the wall.

timjones 23 Feb 2018
In reply to Siward:

That depends on whether or not it dries up in the prime spring and summer grass growing months.

timjones 23 Feb 2018
In reply to davidbeynon:

I guess it's possible that something could be achieved with a bit of basic landscaping and drainage.

Wiley Coyote2 23 Feb 2018
In reply to timjones:

> That depends on whether or not it dries up in the prime spring and summer grass growing months.

Have you ever been to Yorkshire?

Duncan Bourne 23 Feb 2018
In reply to timjones:

A single paved path through a field is not going to impact much on what livestock have to feed off.

The issue is the wall. So, I assume, local climbers are already in discussion with the farmer to sort out the best solution to the problem. Basically his land he calls the shots.

Lusk 23 Feb 2018
In reply to timjones:

The field in question is roughly 24500 square metres.
Would a path of rock paving, a metre wide (generous), make that much difference as opposed to an ever widening tract of mud?
The length of the wall is about 160m.

Tom Valentine 23 Feb 2018

Does "putting some pointy stones on" mean having it re-topped professionally?

It could prove an expensive way of providing the knobs with an even greater challenge.

Stoff 23 Feb 2018
In reply to Lusk:

i can’t argue with that logic.....sounds like there’s room for a car park and a cafe as well. ????

timjones 23 Feb 2018
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

Does the grass grow all year ro7nd in god's own county

Timmd 23 Feb 2018
In reply to timjones:

> Does the grass grow all year ro7nd in god's own county

It rains enough that you'd wonder if it didn't do.  

timjones 23 Feb 2018
In reply to Timmd:

Ah, but the average grass species is as soft as a beanie clad boulderers teetering along the top of a stone wall when winter arrives 

Wiley Coyote2 23 Feb 2018
In reply to timjones:

> Does the grass grow all year ro7nd in god's own county

It was the idea that it ever dried up that I was querying

Timmd 23 Feb 2018
In reply to timjones:

I can't help but ask now, does grass continue to grow year round if it doesn't get trampled on and similar, even if just by very small amounts?

DerwentDiluted 23 Feb 2018

Has anyone suggested.... a Zipline?

afx22 24 Feb 2018
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Now that is funny!!!

Simon Caldwell 26 Feb 2018
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Does "putting some pointy stones on" mean having it re-topped professionally?

That would be the ideal I guess. Or an amateur bodge job would do at a pinch

> It could prove an expensive way of providing the knobs with an even greater challenge.

Depends if you think they walk up the wall (a) because it's an easy way of avoiding the mud, or (b) as an exciting challenge. Given that it's more-or-less an elevated path at the moment I suspect (a) is more likely.

timjones 26 Feb 2018
In reply to Timmd:

> I can't help but ask now, does grass continue to grow year round if it doesn't get trampled on and similar, even if just by very small amounts?

Latitude, altitude, aspect and soil type will all have an influence on grass growth throughout the winter.

On our farm in the Midlands, with heavy soils and a northerly aspect grass growth during the winter is pretty much non-existant and certainly not enough to feed many sheep.  However we do "bank" some autumn growth by shutting livestock out before grazing it in January and February. Woe betide anyone who is misguided enough to trample it before it is grazed!

Timmd 26 Feb 2018
In reply to timjones:

Thanks for the informative reply, I can image it's woe betide.

I had a word with 2 people walking on the wall on Saturday morning - they would fall under (a). They missed the makeshift sign advising not to do so as they accessed the wall from the adjacent field and not the stile/public footpath. Apparently, had they seen the sign, they wouldn’t have walked on the wall - oblivious to the fact that walking on dry stone walls isn’t the done thing. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...