UKC

NEWS: Senja New Routing Spree by Boswell and Mercier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 21 Feb 2018
Greg Boswell and Jeff Mercier have just returned from a short but very successful trip to the Norwegian island of Senja in the Arctic Circle. The pair established seven new routes in just eight days, of which three were on significant unclimbed faces.

Read more
 vscott 21 Feb 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Nice work Greg + Jeff!

For any interested more info (albeit now 7 years out of date so pre-dating Senja as 'the place to be' for winter adventures) here https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/lavagen_ice_climbing_photo_rep...

bensilvestre 21 Feb 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant

Michael Gordon 21 Feb 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Wow, that's productive! Sounds like an amazing trip.

TobyA 21 Feb 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I've been following their progress day by day by Greg's instagram and Facebook posts. The photos of the climbing are interesting because on some of the routes they appear very turfy (hence like Scotland) but almost rime- and snow-less (different to Scotland!). Not your standard alpine dry tooling look, but also not your UK winter look either.

A friend in Tromsø (not far from Senja) was saying it hasn't snowed their since Christmas - so they are having an exceptionally un-snowy winter, but it is cold. I think Greg and Jeff struck gold for climbing conditions currently, but its good that they weren't there to ski also!

HeMa 21 Feb 2018
In reply to TobyA:

Yah. I’ve heard skiing isn’t that great at the moment. But Climbing is. Papert and Pafft are in Senja now BTW. 

TobyA 21 Feb 2018
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Can you read that? Annoyingly it's telling me I need to subscribe, and I'm not subscribing to the holy scriptures of the neoliberal transglobalist bourgeois elite - the WSJ!!! You're not a member of the neoliberal transglobalist bourgeois elite are you Natalie...?

TobyA 21 Feb 2018
In reply to HeMa:

>  Papert and Pafft are in Senja now BTW. 

Dude, you think I DON'T follow Ines on Instagram?! She's my idol!

HeMa 21 Feb 2018
In reply to TobyA:

d00d... she signed my m00b a few years back...

Ok, she didn't but I was about to ask .

Post edited at 20:31
 Mr. Lee 21 Feb 2018
In reply to TobyA:

> A friend in Tromsø (not far from Senja) was saying it hasn't snowed their since Christmas - so they are having an exceptionally un-snowy winter, but it is cold.

Wow so much snow in Southern Norway. Don't think anybody's got near the mixed alpine stuff in places like Hemsedal due to the amount of snow around.

Misha 21 Feb 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Impressed by their stamina - cranking out hard new routes day after day after day. 

Andy Moles 22 Feb 2018
In reply to Misha:

> Impressed by their stamina - cranking out hard new routes day after day after day. 

Totally, I feel pleased with myself when I walk up the Ben two days in a row. And some of those lines looks absolutely amazing.

vscott 22 Feb 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:

To be fair, many of the walk-ins in Senja are pretty moderate by Scottish standards... cliffs somewhat bigger and steeper though!

In reply to TobyA:

I can read it but don't subscribe! Maybe I passed some sort of test...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...