UKC

EORI/VAT number registration time scale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Baron Weasel 22 Feb 2018

Anyone know how long it takes to get either a EORI number or a VAT number?

I've got some equipment due to arrive from China tomorrow and it's been communicated to me this morning that I need one or the other of these numbers ASAP or I will be charged warehouse rent.

Anyone got any experience - my business partner thinks it would be better if we didn't VAT register for a few months which would mean we need an EORI number, but either way we need to get one or the other some time last week if possible.

All advice appreciated!

Ben_Climber 22 Feb 2018
In reply to Baron Weasel:

Are you a registered business or is this just a personal item/purchase?

If you are not at the VAT threshold then I would certainly not VAT register.

An EORI number/registration would certainly be the easiest way forward (You do not need to be VAT reg to apply for an EORI).

It's been many years since I applied for an EORI but I seem to remember it being about 3/4 days before I had anything back from them.

Apply here:

https://www.gov.uk/eori

Ben

Ben_Climber 22 Feb 2018

Also..

Who arranged the shipping for you?

If it was the supplier then they often ship port to port rather than door to door. This means you end up getting stung with high clearance costs.

Customs may ask you for a commodity code as well, so may be worth finding it already if you don't have one.

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/trade-tariff/sections

Use a UK based freight forwarder if you can and it will make life much more simple

OP Baron Weasel 22 Feb 2018
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Thanks mate, we are registered as a business (new start up).

Yes it was the suppler in China that arranged the shipping and it looks as though we have no choice but to pay high clearance costs, so I'm keen not to get stung for additional warehouse costs which will kick in towards the end of next week, but they won't release the stuff without either EORI or VAT number. I do have a commodity code though so that's one less head ache at least.

Fingers crossed I can get £2000 of equipment from Liverpool, through customs to the Lakes with change from a grand!

Cheers!

Ben_Climber 22 Feb 2018

Feel free to DM me if you need any more info or advice

OP Baron Weasel 23 Feb 2018
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Thanks, got the EORI registration completed, just at the behest of HMRC to process it in time. Costs have run to over a grand, but can't do anything about it except hope I don't have to pay warehouse rent as well!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...