UKC

Long Weekend Munro Bagging - early April

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SuperstarDJ 22 Feb 2018

Hi,

I'm looking to get up to Scotland for long weekend of Munro bagging in early April.

I'm driving up Friday afternoon (Nottingham and then Manchester) and heading back Monday evening so I'm looking for 2 full days and a shorter day on the Monday.  Ideally I don't want to drive too far and my fellow walker doesn't have boots that'll take a crampon so I'm looking for hills that should be fine in normal boots in the snow if there's much about. 

Do people recommend any areas?  I was initially thinking the Arrochar Alps but wanted to avoid any scrambling on this trip.  Maybe the group just south of Crianlarich?  Anything else I should consider?

Thanks,

David

subtle 22 Feb 2018
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

You can cope in the Arrochar Alps without any scrambling when munro bagging.

Crainlarich hills of similar nature to the Arrochar hills.

Ben Lawers group not much further.

Expect by April most of the snow will be patchy and easily avoided, what will be left may be hard though so best avoided if no crampons.

Have fun, hope the weather is good for you.

OP SuperstarDJ 23 Feb 2018
In reply to subtle:

Great - thanks!

I'll pick the hills based on the best accommodation and proximity to a pub then!

David.

Phil1919 25 Feb 2018
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Yes, I'd go with Crianlarich area. Easily accessible and enough to go at.

Dave the Rave 25 Feb 2018
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Have a look at Beinn Glas Farm Campsite. Pub on the site and a Munro from the campsite. A very good but expensive pub 5 mins from the site on the A82 too.

Flinticus 27 Feb 2018
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

What kind of boots does your friend have? I often use flexible crampons on non B rated boots. Been fine for general winter walking.

I'd also recommend Bridge of Orchy area. Close to The Blackmount and Glencoe and you gor the big 4 overlooking the A82 (Beinn Dorain and pals).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...