UKC

Please recommend a thermos for winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MaryGandy 23 Feb 2018

Any recommendations for a thermos for winter please. I've had Stainless Steel Ultimate Thermos several years.

GrahamD 23 Feb 2018
In reply to MaryGandy:

I’ve never had a problem with a £5 stainless flask from Asda

tjin 23 Feb 2018

I have a fancy SIGG steelworks one, but also an IKEA one. Both work fine. The IKEA one is bulkier for the same internal volume.

The main thing i see with thermos are:

- Bigger internal volume is better (less surface area vs mass)

- A solid screw cap (with pouring channels) are more efficient in keeping warm and far easier to clean than those clicky caps..

- Preheating helps with keeping it hot for longer, but generally i have a problem with drinks stay too hot. So i don't.

Jimmountainviews 23 Feb 2018
In reply to MaryGandy:

I know you mention Thermos Specifically But I would Highly Recommend A Stanley Flask.  Utterly Bombproof and keeps things nice & warm.  Worth the investment 

kermit_uk 23 Feb 2018
In reply to MaryGandy:

Lifeventure flasks.

I have a 15 year old 1L and a newish 0.5L I like them because they are slimline so pack very easily and are totally bombproof and keep stuff warm a long time. 

Have had cheapo version that look the same, when i got to France before remembering I didn't have a flask. They just don't stay hot as long in my experience and I NEVER leave the house without a flask.

wercat 23 Feb 2018
In reply to MaryGandy:

I was given a Lifeventure 700 (ml) which never fails to please me with keeping stuff hot.  In fact I find I have to add some cold water to the drink before closing it up if it is not to be too hot when I'm drinking right into the mid/late afternoon.  I have stopped preheating it unless I know I won't be using it for many many hours.

I take a .45l food pot out in winter full of hot chocolate in winter(Pioneer brand), also very good for soup or coffee.

Post edited at 12:27
 cousin nick 23 Feb 2018
In reply to MaryGandy:

Hydroflask 1L. Expensive and you need a separate cup, but works really well and the most robust I've ever had. We also have their 350ml versions with the 'sippy lid' - great for short trips and will also fit in a bike bottle rack if that's of interest.

N

nathan79 23 Feb 2018
In reply to MaryGandy:

Thermos Ultimate and anything Stanley are best by far in my experience. Costly but perform well enough and last long enough to justify it.

My regular workhorse is a Thermos thermocafe that cost me 3 or 4 quid and works a treat.

gali 23 Feb 2018
In reply to nathan79:

+1 for hydroflask

Doug 23 Feb 2018
In reply to MaryGandy:

Have you seen https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/which_flask-678237 ?

Might give you some ideas

Post edited at 13:57
In reply to MaryGandy:

I got the large insulated Kleen Kanteen as a gift last year, it keeps my tea super hot for at least ten hours, it is just under 1l. I am tea obsessed and use it almost every day. Doesn't have a mug type top but you can also use for water/cold. Keeps ice as ice for a whole day too. Good for my green/herbal tea but I've never tried it with milky tea!

jonnie3430 23 Feb 2018
In reply to MaryGandy:

The 1.2 litre stainless steel Thermos flask does keep stuff warm for 24 hours, I'd recommend that.

Dave the Rave 23 Feb 2018
In reply to Jimmountainviews:

Mine have been utterly cack although they look very nice. Dropped a 2 litre version on a soft sandy beach and the insulation cracked. My food flask is also broken, thanks for the reminder, as I will return it for replacement. Not a mark on it.

My best flask is a Tatonka 0.7. Has it 20 years, battered and still good.

Welsh Kate 23 Feb 2018
In reply to MaryGandy:

If you want the best, go Zojirushi, if you can find one! Mine was brilliant, but sadly the stopper wasn't mice-proof and the little b*gg*rs gnawed it to death. So I replaced it with an Ultimate Thermos - almost as good!

olddirtydoggy 24 Feb 2018
In reply to MaryGandy:

Just thrown a Lifeventure flask in the bin, total rubbish. Got the Thermos Ultimate as a replacement and we have to leave the top off to cool it down after a long winter day. Best thing is it's lighter as well!

AndyDore 26 Feb 2018

Hi, MaryGandy, what did you end up buying? I try to find a good thermos now and read a lot of topics on different forums. One of the forums says Stanley loses its thermal abilities over time, so I lean towards Thermos King from a review https://keepithot.co/best-soup-thermos. I only need my coffee to be hot, my mug not to leak and not to alter the original taste of the drinks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...