UKC

microspikes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 23 Feb 2018

Hello all,

I'm thinking about investing in some microspikes or similar for walks in winter (as opposed to winter walking) when a bit of ice might be encountered on non-steep surfaces, and that I can use with my current non-winter boots (Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX (like slippers except muddier)), and, on occasion, trail running shoes.

(I have B3 boots and step-in crampons for winter walking, and whilst I'm half considering updating this particular setup it's not a priority for the moment.)

My questions are:

1) I've read this thread: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/ukh/microspikes_-_use_with_care_or_not... - what are others' experiences with microspikes? Bearing in mind that for the situations described in the article, I'd be in my B3 boots with my step-in crampons as I'm not a very ambitious/confident runner.

2) I take a size 43 shoe - the microspikes listing on the Rock&Run site suggests that medium would be fine for shoes, but I'd need large for my boots - what's people's experience of sizing, fit, etc, on different footwear? (https://rockrun.com/products/kahtoola-microspikes?variant=31462317128)

3) I know they're more expensive, but have others found the Kahtoola KTS to be a better option?

rif 23 Feb 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

I bought some Kahtoola microspikes ( https://www.needlesports.com/48604/products/kahtoola-microspikes-red.aspx ) a couple of years ago and have found them really useful for icy paths when G12s are overkill but bare vibrams require great care. I use them on Inov8s, scramble shoes, and B3 boots, in our local woods, up Meall a' Buachaille, etc. They would have been great today for the Sneachda path.

"Large" microspikes fit all of the above footwear in size 45.

Rob F

Andy Johnson 23 Feb 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

I bought some KTSs last month. For various reasons I haven't had chance to use them properly yet.

They'd be fine on your Salomons but iffy on trail shoes as the heel strap goes quite high as it passes over the shoe's tongue. They come with an attachment that is supposed to connect the heel and toe straps at the front, to prevent the heel strap riding-up onto your ankle in low-fitting shoes, but then I suspect there might be a problem with heel-lift off the base of the crampon.

They do flex quite nicely, but I can't imagine running in them as some people seem to claim. I'd go for microspikes for trail running shoes on flatish ground and KTS for soft boots on non-technical terrain.

(fyi my boots are size 8.5 and I found the M-L size fitted well)

mysterion 23 Feb 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

Tried my medium microspikes on my size 42 B2 Trango Alps and they fit with what looks like a full UK size to spare

Microspikes and KTS crampons are not really comparable. The crampons are overkill for what you intend, you can feel perfectly happy striding along an iced-up path in microspikes

Post edited at 17:52
 Jack B 23 Feb 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

I don't imagine you were considering the yaktrax style things, where the rubber goes underneath the boot, but just in case: They're awful. The rubber doesn't hold up beyond a mile or two, and they fall apart. So that cheap is definitely too cheap.

Duncan Bourne 23 Feb 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

For anything none serious crampon wise. I use Magic Spikes. Very simple rubber goes over shoe and with robust spikes that do not fall off after a couple of uses (as some makes do). I have used one pair for thirteen years now (I bought them before I married Michele) and they are still going strong. They are ideal for icy paths and can be flipped on and off easily. not much cop for scambling but then I use proper crampons.

Post edited at 17:50
 gneiss boots 24 Feb 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

No personal experience but I have just seen Needle sports doing a Grivel microspike variant at £29 that looked suitable for runners as well as walkers. If you are looking then they may be worth considering.

Mouflon 24 Feb 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

Microspikes are great in ice and hard snow but not good in the wrong snow conditions. They ball up badly like old crampons without anti-balling plates.

If I was buying them again, I'd investigate the Nortec Micro or Alp Micro, as shown on the ultralightgear site. They're described as having a flexible plate to stop balling. Whether this works, I don't know but worth trying to find out more.

If not, you can always go for a pair of insteps with anti-balling plates, like the hillcrest cypress 6.

Havings said that, I still carry my microspikes and use them in the right conditions.

Iain Thow 24 Feb 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

I use 32 North's Stabilicers Lite for winter hill running. Had them 5 years and they're still fine - the rubber hasn't worn at all and hardly even stretched. Just beginning to blunt slightly but that's after lots of use (and I could sharpen them I suppose). Multi angled spikes so grip well on hard snow & ice, unless it's steep - they don't work well over about 30 degrees. It's in the Peak (and me running) so steep doesn't happen. Rubber studs on the edges so they still grip on rock rather than skittering They're crap on verglas but so is everything else. Been a very good buy.

GrahamD 24 Feb 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

Mrs D's microspikes are great, especially for the first and last part of walks in winter which often follow well trodden good paths from the car parking areas onto the fells on a ribbon of sheet ice.

Pipecleaner 24 Feb 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:Hi, microspikes are fantastic for non steep or technical ice.  I'm a 44 in salomon speedcross and a 44 in scarpa mantas and a med pair of microspikes fit both.  I can run 10mph on sheet ice in them and they walk well on icy hill paths as long as not too steep. Way better than crampons for thin conditions or mixed snow, ice clear as you can walk thenrocky bits easily or whip the microspikes on and off in seconds. Mine are about 7 years old now and had a lot of abuse...theyre noticeably a bit blunt but nothing you wouldnt expect.  Biggest return on investment out of any winter kit i can think of!

OP Tall Clare 24 Feb 2018

Thanks everyone - sounds like there's a few options to look at but microspikes (or equivalent) are the way forward. Might have to wait as, when I scrubbed a thick layer of mud off my walking boots, I discovered I'd worn through to the midsole on both... (amongst other things, they're worn every day for for walking, and It's been *very* muddy recently). One pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX 3 later... 

IainL 25 Feb 2018
In reply to Tall Clare: Try orienteering shoes with metal inserts in the studs. The best grip ever in ice and snow. If sized to allow Sealskinz socks you won't need walking boots again. Long socks allow deep wading as well.

Timmd 25 Feb 2018
In reply to IainL:

I was wondering about something like that. I guess it can come down to how much it's worth buying an extra pair of foot ware for something which is 'a little bit niche' ?

Post edited at 17:22
 Rob Parsons 25 Feb 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Thanks everyone - sounds like there's a few options to look at but microspikes (or equivalent) are the way forward.

As an alternative point of view: I use a pair of four-point Salewa instep crampons for type of thing you describe, and they're good on either hard snow or water ice. They cost me 15 Euros over the Internet.

When using them, you have to be strict with yourself and remember to walk flat-footed: a normal gait (i.e. heel first, or toe first) will probably result in a slip. But as cheap 'get out of gaol' pieces of equipment, I think they're fine (and also very easy to put on and take off.)

stratandrew 25 Feb 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

I've used my Hillsound ones https://www.hillsound.com/products/trail-crampon for about 4 years. they have been a little used on very icy paths but they are also brilliant on heavily rimed , frosted or verglassed rocky routes like Crib Goch, Striding Edge, Sharp Edge, Tryfan. I've generally used them when there is little snow. I was up sharp edge this morning at just after 8am and the frost was so heavy that they were invaluable. Crampons would have been overkill. I've worn them mostly on my B1 Scarpa leather boots. Hillsound do a good range and it is high quality kit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...