UKC

Peak Limestone: Beerhouse Buttress access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Summit Sense 27 Feb 2018

Beerhouse Buttress

Went to have a look on 24/02/18. Old pub (still closed) is under redevelopment and has limited parking in a lay-by. Mainly full of skips/trade vehicles or refuse. Space for 1 car when I arrived. The original car park, as noted in BMC Peak Limestone North guide (2015) says to park on a small concrete bridge about 100m back towards Buxton. This would block an entrance to some more works and has very obvious "NO PARKING" signed erected. The gate is firmly locked which would otherwise enable access up the steep bank to the railway line crossing and crag, also with many signs denying entry. 

I would ask that a regional rep takes a look at the site and feedbacks with wether climbing is still permitted. From the outset, I think access would be unlawful (bypassing a locked gate/railway crossing) - hence our decision to move on to another crag at the weekend. Man it was cold….

BMC RAD page: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/View.aspx?id=1726 

Post edited at 13:18
 kristian Global Crag Moderator 27 Feb 2018
In reply to Summit Sense:

This crag is also know as Devonshire Buttress. I went to have a look but followed Gary's advice and parked as for staden lower quarry. The lay-by on the left before Morrisons.

http://www.sportsclimbs.co.uk/mainpages/peak/Devonshire%20Buttress.htm

OP Summit Sense 28 Feb 2018
In reply to kristian:

Yep that lay-by is also fine, and noted when I drove past. How did you get around his statement of "cross the bridge and negotiate the fence"?

kristian Global Crag Moderator 28 Feb 2018

Don't remember going over a fence just crossing the bridge and swinging around a post (to the left) onto the river bank and traversing around the compound.

SDM 28 Feb 2018

As above, I think the usual way is to swing around the outside of the fence, not to go over it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...