UKC

Snowdon mouldings gortex bivvy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 flopsicle 27 Feb 2018

Hi all, 

I've come by one of these in mint condition but I gather it's feim the 1980s so not sure if it's worth keeping or selling as a bivvy or cannabalising for the gortex.

Google has few comments but many were from here so thought I'd ask. 

John R 27 Feb 2018
In reply to flopsicle:

Still using mine; a bit battered, but still keeps me dry(ish). Probably better and certainly roomier than ones bought many years later. If it really is in mint condition I couldn't see much advantage to cannibalising it. 

nniff 28 Feb 2018
In reply to flopsicle:

The tape sealing the seams will probably peel off at the slightest provocation - thats what has happened to all of the old goretex I had. A 1980's bivi-bag is slowly being turned into stuff sacs

Tim Davies 28 Feb 2018
In reply to flopsicle:

still using mine

better constructed and more robust than more modern ones I’ve used- a bit like my 1990s karrimor rucksack....

Tyler 28 Feb 2018
In reply to flopsicle:

One of these saved my life! I can't help with your question but felt compelled to reply as reading it raised a smile of nostalgia and shiver of dread!

Siward 28 Feb 2018
In reply to nniff:

Iron on seam sealing tape will however return it to good as new...

OP flopsicle 28 Feb 2018
In reply to nniff:

Just turned it inside out. The tape looks fabric and all attached.

I'm unlikely to usu it - I likes a bed; but it appealed because it looks quality and pretty mint. I think it's hardest day was the market. I like to rehome kit

Rob Parsons 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Siward:

> Iron on seam sealing tape will however return it to good as new...

Do you know where tape like that suitable for Goretex can be bought from? (I have a jacket which needs the treatment.)

Thanks.

Ridge 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Rob Parsons:

https://www.profabrics.co.uk/products/seam-sealing-tape-for-3-layer-fabrics...

I bought some a fews years back and still using it to patch tears in waterproofs. I think re-doing a whole jacket might be tricky though.

OP flopsicle 01 Mar 2018
In reply to flopsicle:

Cheers all. Just been sledging and its bitter out there. It's going to homeless day centre for someone out in this. No brainer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...