UKC

El Chorro rain escapes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan Rubin 27 Feb 2018

We are a bunch of Yanks who have booked rooms in El Chorro for 10 days starting the end of this week. Of course the forecast for that entire period, as one of us has put it, "is laughably bad". Does anybody on here have any 'reasonable' escape options to suggest? We will have rental cars. We know the non-climbing alternatives but are looking for someplace within feasible range that might have dry rock--at grades 7a and under. Also where we can get any route info on any such areas. thanks.  Alan

Will Hunt 27 Feb 2018
In reply to Alan Rubin:

The Poema de Roca cave stays dry in the rain. That's on the Frontales. Archidona will also stay dry in the rain - that should be in most guidebooks that cover the area. It's a little drive away from Chorro but well worth it on a rainy day.

JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 27 Feb 2018
In reply to Alan Rubin:

How about heading down to the coast:

These have tended to avoid the worst of the mountain weather:

Mijas

Pinares de San Antón

Cala del Moral

heleno 01 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan Rubin:

This may sound a bit extreme, but if you've travelled from the US, how much did your accommodation cost compared to your flights?  

The forecast for Alicante province looks so much better than for el chorro, and accommodation in Spain is so cheap, that in your position I'd consider completely changing my base. Plenty of good climbing in the southern Costa Blanca.

Either way I really hope you still enjoy your trip!

OP Alan Rubin 01 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan Rubin:

Thanks everyone. We are just going to keep our options open and hit the road to Murcia or the Costa Blanca if that seems the best bet, though some of the group have other commitments that would prevent them from joining such an excursion.

Stu Tyrrell 01 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan Rubin:

Desplomilandia  at the top of Ell Chorro - some areas are dry, close to the road as well, good for a day maybe?

In reply to Alan Rubin:

I have been in El Chorro since Monday and have climbed each day although rain has delayed or stopped play a few times. The rock has dried extremely quickly (within half an hour) and there is almost no seepage. As mentioned above the Poema Cave is permanently dry and only a few minutes from the parking. It is pouring down now but I would not be surprised if we can get out later in the day. The forecast is not great for the longer term but is changing daily!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...