UKC

Airline nicked my skin glue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

When I left Finland I guess I had a bit of an expedition beard so I got the "random" extra security checks. When I got home I found a note in my ski bag saying they had taken out my little bottle of emergency spray glue for skins. Having flown with it before with no problems, and it being no more dangerous than a can of deodorant (a benign material with a propellant) I didn't think anything of it. It isn't a flammable liquid, and the only place I can find anything about it being restricted is after on a deep search on the airports website. 

I just don't get airline security, it varies airport to airport, officer to officer, and whilst I'm allowed several cans of deodorant with propane propellant (which if I remember my youth well is fairly explosive) I'm not allowed a tiny tin of spray glue.     

Lesson: Check the airports you fly to for an explicit list of what you're allowed or some Finnish security guard is going to be skiing around on your glue.

GridNorth 28 Feb 2018
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

The problem is, even after checking with airlines, airports and even security it still comes down to who you get on the day.  I've seen things get through on one security check in whilst a friends stuff didn't even though he was on the same flight and there at the same time but on the adjacent scanners.  I'm paranoid now and don't carry ANYTHING that could be queried.

Al

balmybaldwin 28 Feb 2018

You have to remember the primary purpose of the UK(especially) implementation of air security checks is to make you spend more time shopping in the captive market

tehmarks 28 Feb 2018
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Maybe there's a market for skin glue airside that hasn't been identified yet. Shrewd business opportunity anyone?

Ciro 28 Feb 2018

My ex was asked why she was carrying CO2 canisters, she said to inflate her bike tyres in the event of a puncture, and was told she couldn't take them.

When she queried why they had asked the purpose, she was told that if it was for safety gear such as an inflatable swimming aid it would have been fine.

There is no 'getting' airport security. It makes about as much sense as Donald trump.

PPP 28 Feb 2018

> When I left Finland I guess I had a bit of an expedition beard so I got the "random" extra security checks. 

Is that actually a thing? I have had a full beard for over two years and had few flights (4-5 trips I believe). I haven't had any problems in there, apart from a guy asking me about the Swiss knife in my bag which was fair enough! It was the tiny one and he was fine with it. 

In reply to PPP:

Skin colour is also a factor.

planetmarshall 01 Mar 2018

> I just don't get airline security, it varies airport to airport, officer to officer, and whilst I'm allowed several cans of deodorant with propane propellant (which if I remember my youth well is fairly explosive) I'm not allowed a tiny tin of spray glue.     

For a view from the other side, take a look at the TSA instagram feed and what they have to deal with. Harpoon guns. "Mock" explosives. Gas canisters. You might feel a bit more sympathetic, although at least with TSA there is a unified list of what's allowed and what isn't.

https://www.instagram.com/tsa

nathan79 01 Mar 2018

Based on personal experience I've had very few issues. I've been brown and bearded as long as I've been flying, I used to always trim my beard down to look less "terroristy"( for want of a better term) but I don't bother anymore. I've only had extra checks once and that was at Heathrow (my least favourite airport, always so inefficient) before heading to the US. 

cb294 01 Mar 2018

I am as white as they come, have a beard (rather closely cropped, not Mullah Omar style) and my computer is swiped for explosives every single bloody time, randomly of course....

CB

They (Vaars airport) did the same with my Klister   The skis and wax wrapped in a sleeping bag and then wrapped in stretch wrapping  that did not get properly replaced, leading to soggy down.  

The note said as it was flammable it had been removed. However it would  be available for collection if I so wanted for X days     After that I'm sure it was put to good use by a Fin

Edge and wax supplying replacement at my expense, but nou gone bust like so many 

Post edited at 09:39
 Doug 01 Mar 2018
In reply to cb294:

Likewise - I'm white & middle aged but bearded & get picked at 'random' for extra checks far more often than my non-bearded colleagues, especially female. The only exception was for a short period when I often travelled with a young, bearded stagiaire & he would get 'randomly picked' more often than me or anyone else from the office.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...